Thread: uTorrent 1.8.5 and Windows 7 - 'Can't open .torrent file' error

uTorrent 1.8.5 and Windows 7 - 'Can't open .torrent file' error

I am able to download the torrents properly in my system having the Windows 7 operating system. But, the combination of uTorrent 1.8.5 and Windows 7, I am getting the 'Can't open .torrent file' error. Actually, there was no such issue when I was using Windows XP. I have done a clean install to Windows 7, after which I am getting the particular problem. The download goes on for sometime and after sometime, I get an icon as a red cross and get the above error. This is happening with every other torrent download.

If there is any solution that can solve this issue, then please help me with the same as soon as possible.
    Last edited by Am_Wamika; 18-06-2010 at 11:24 PM.

Re: uTorrent 1.8.5 and Windows 7 - 'Can't open .torrent file' error

It seems that your problem of uTorrent 1.8.5 and Windows 7 - 'Can't open .torrent file' error has been solved on our forums already. You must have a glance on the following threads to get a solution for the same:

Just let me know if you get your situation solved or not with the suggestions that are given in the above threads. If you cannot get the problem solved, I will help you with some other solution.

You are getting the 'Can't open .torrent file' error while using uTorrent 1.8.5 with Windows 7 because the particular application may be incompatible with the operating system that you are using. There are many such incompatibilities for this operating system with other applications and softwares. Inorder to avoid such issues, it is suggested that this operating system must never be installed or upgraded.

There may be some problem in the registry that is causing the 'Can't open .torrent file' error between uTorrent 1.8.5 and Windows 7. So, there is a need to use a registry cleaner. You can use any of the following because all of them are compatible with Windows 7:
    • Registry Mechanic
    • TuneUp Utilities
    • Speed Up My PC

I hope that your issues will be solved after that.

If there is an incompatibility problem between uTorrent 1.8.5 and Windows 7, that is resulting in the 'Can't open .torrent file' error, then you must make sure about the same. For this, you will have to run the hardware and software evaluation tool in your system. It will list all the components installed in your system, sorted in the lists of compatibilities and incompatibilities.
    I'm the Proud Owner of the most dangerous weapon
    known to man kind: Human Brain

I have been able to understand from your replies that the problem between uTorrent 1.8.5 and Windows 7 is an incompatibility issue. Well, I have not tried any solution for the same till now. I will try any of them today. I will let you people know if my issues are solved or not.

If the problem is still persisting, then you all will have to help me with some other solution or suggestion. Thanks for all the help till now.