Thread: Remote Backup without Local Disk Write

Remote Backup without Local Disk Write

Hello there, I am using the latest version of cPanel and I am loving it. The only feature which I dont like about cPanel is that while taking remote backup, first all the data is written on the local hard drive and read again from the local disk while transferring the backup is transferred using FTP on a remote server. Writing and reading from the local hard drive for remote backup takes a lot of time and hence I think Remote Backup without Local Disk Write will be very beneficial. Will the further versions of cPanel have this feature? Please share some information on this issue. Thanks in advance.

Re: Remote Backup without Local Disk Write

Yes I also agree with you. It is a very slow process as first the entire backup is written on the local hard drive. Then the entire backup is read from the local hard drive and transferred to the remote server. Hence the Write and read cycle of the local hard drive takes up lot of time which makes the process sluggish. Direct transfer would be much more beneficial and faster.

The local disk I/O is the main reason for getting slow transfer speed for the remote backup via FTP. The current process of remote backup consist of Read function of backup, Write on the local hard drive and then read again from the local hard drive for remote transfer. So if there is any possible way to increase the I/O of the local disk then the process would be more faster.

I think the current remote backup process for the database is slow but safe. It is good that the backup is first copied on a local hard drive and then transferred to the remote server. If the data is directly transferred from the server to the remote place using FTP, it is possible that the data can get corrupt and hence the backup wont be useful. Hence it is better to get a working backup at slower rate rather than not working data at higher rate.

Instead of writing all the information first on the local disk and then transferring to the remote server, we can directly transfer the information from the live server to the remote server which will decrease the backup time significantly. It will also take up less resources which will not load the server.

Thanks for sharing some information. It is really sad that the backup cannot be taken from the remote server directly and hence I hope the next version of cPanel will have the remote backup option directly from the server which will really improve the speed and performance of the backup.