Thread: My TomTom can't find any satellites and keeps saying waiting for valid gps signal

My TomTom can't find any satellites and keeps saying waiting for valid gps signal

I use TomTom for GPS navigation. I now-a-days face a lot of signal problems during my journey in the car. Most of the time my TomTom doesn't pick up the satellites gps signal. I can see it is loading and looking for gps signal but sooner I get the message saying it is waiting for valid GPS signals and nothing happens. I never had this problem until last week. Can you help me in this matter?

Re: My TomTom can't find any satellites and keeps saying waiting for valid gps signal

What version of TomTom are you currently using? You can check this by going into the GPS status and then GPS tab. If you are having an older version then use the update CD. Also make sure that the TomTom wireless GPS and bluetooth serial port COM has been selected.

Re: My TomTom can't find any satellites and keeps saying waiting for valid gps signal

On which port is your TomTom set to? Is it port 8? If not then set it. I am unsure if you also have the GPS search feature where you can find the port and vbaude automatically. If this doesn't solve your problem, then I think your TomTom is having low battery. You may even could have a damaged SIIRF chip but repair that is too expensive.

There are many possibilities of TomTom not able to connect to the satellite. First of all make sure that you have clear direction to the sky, mostly this happens because of clouds which becomes an obstacle for getting the full signal strength. As you said when you started the TomTom, it took few seconds to find the gps device but then it showed waiting for valid gps signal; are you still getting the same message or does it now says no gps device found. Because in such case you may even think of some internal problem with the GPS receiver. Try to wait for few more seconds or even few minutes to see if it acquires any signals.

I have seen a lot of people have such kind of problems and moreover they tried SiRFDemo for some experimental purpose which resulted them with non-functional GPS receiver. I don't think that this is related to GPS firmware problem, which was suggested before by someone. I would suggest you to try removing the battery for certain period of time. This will reset your GPS receiver to factory defaults and you should be able to use it once again. Hope this helps!

I think you should give some time to your TomTom to acquire the signals. Because as you might be knowing satellites doesn't stay constant at one place but instead move out of line. Thus your GPS receiver has to keep track of these satellites and also has to look out of for more when those are not found. If it doesn't find anyone of them then it has to redo the same process once again.

The night before I was going on a trip I connected my TomTom XL 310 to my computer and was prompted to update to the latest software. I did so and added some favorites. The next day after we got on our way we powered up the TomTom only to find that it was unable to acquire any satellites and we were unable to use it for the entire trip. I found out afterwards that the software update had rendered the device useless. We had to do a “Reset to Factory Settings” to get the device to work again and in the process lost of of the data we had entered. I am a software developer and am disgusted with the fact that they would release software the would render the device useless. I will never buy another product from this company.

I have never heard of a driver update problem in TomTom before? Does not driver update mean getting the latest and proper support for the hardware or device, but reading from the case above it is totally reversed. I would only guess that this might be a case of a faulty TomTom, so if it is under warranty get it replaced.

I have recently bought a start 20 and had instant replacement due to lost satellite. Unfortunately second new tom tom is having same problem.
    Just before I have replaced it, guy in Currys said he got same problems and he tried replacements and it is not the device problem, apparently tom tom is having problems with their satellites.

Down Re: My TomTom can't find any satellites and keeps saying waiting for valid gps signal

I bought my TomTom a few month ago and in 3 month it broke twice. The first time apparently it has been replaced but I think they have just sent the same unit back with a new sticker attached to it. After a month now I have the same problem again that it cannot find satellites. I kept it on trough a 2 hours journey and nothing. I will try to update the software but I have to say that this is one of the most awful piece of electrical device I have ever owned. I hate it from the first minute of owning it. Starting from the clumsy unresponsive touch screen till the continuous software problems. My other satnav which I have bought something like 6 years ago for £50 is still working faultlessly.
    It is a joke. I never liked TomTom for some reason but I thought I give a go as they are so popular. Well I definitely never will touch anything ever again which is produced by this useless piece of junk of a company.

smile Re: My TomTom can't find any satellites and keeps saying waiting for valid gps signal

Quote Originally Posted by Gracious View Post
    I use TomTom for GPS navigation. I now-a-days face a lot of signal problems during my journey in the car. Most of the time my TomTom doesn't pick up the satellites gps signal. I can see it is loading and looking for gps signal but sooner I get the message saying it is waiting for valid GPS signals and nothing happens. I never had this problem until last week. Can you help me in this matter?
    Go to tomtom.com and download the quick fix for your model...it has download for older models too. I did it and it worked