Thread: Links don't work on Internet Explorer

Links don't work on Internet Explorer

I am running Windows XP on my computer and as everyone knows it has Internet Explorer 6 installed which came with XP. I recently noticed that whenever I click on any kind of link, in general, it should open up in new window of IE. But it does not open at all. I can see the outline of the new window that is open but it has no content displayed in the screen. The same thing happen when I click on a link present on an email message in Outlook Express. Not sure what to do, any help would be appreciated greatly!

Re: Links don't work on Internet Explorer

Exit all the programs that are running. Go to Start, Run and then type regsvr32 urlmon.dll, and then press OK button. If you receive the "DllRegisterServer in urlmon.dll succeeded" message, then click OK. This indicates your problem is solved. However, if this does not resolve your problem then continue the above procedure with either of the below options:
    regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll
    regsvr32 Msjava.dll
    regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll
    regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
    regsvr32 Mshtml.dll
    regsvr32 Browseui.dll
    regsvr32 Shell32.dll

Click on Start, Run and type in "msconfig". Click on "Expand File". Here you will be asked to specify the file that you want to restore by providing the source and destination location. Enter "oleaut32.dll" in "File to restore". In "Restore From", provide the location of your CD drive which contains Windows XP CD (like D:\Windows\i386). In "Save file in", mention the exact location but instead of CD drive location, provide your Windows folder (such as C:\Windows\i386). Finally click on "Expand" to complete the process.

1. Click Start, and then click My Computer.
    2. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
    3. In the Folder Options dialog box, click the File Types tab.
    4. In the Registered file types list, locate and click (NONE) URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol, and then click Advanced.
    5. In the Edit File Type dialog box, click Edit.
    6. At the end of the value that is in the Application used to perform action box, replace the -nohome entry with %1.
    7. To close the Edit File Type dialog box, click OK two times.
    8. In the Registered file types list, locate and click (NONE) URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol with Privacy, and then click Advanced.
    9. Repeat steps 5 through 8 by using the (NONE) URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol with Privacy list item instead of the (NONE) URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol list item.
    10. To close the Folder Options dialog box, click OK.
    11. Test a hyperlink from Outlook Express.

This is surely the problem because there is some problem with the file association for HTM and HTML files. To check this, go to My Computer, Tools, Folder Options, File Types. You will find a list in alphanumeric order. Look for HTM. Click on Advanced button, then Open, and finally the click the Edit button. Look for "Use DDE" option and see if it already have check mark. If not then do that and then click on Ok button. Follow the same procedure for HTML. This should work.