Thread: How to Close Hotmail Email Account or Windows Live ID

How to Close Hotmail Email Account or Windows Live ID

This is really very bad because no one has helped me to the point to resolve this issue. I want to close my hotmail email account. But even after trying it a number of times i have not been allowed to do so. This is really a frustration. Every time the deletion procedure throws the same error which says "One or more paid services or a Microsoft Points account is linked to your account. To close this account, make sure each service is canceled and your Microsoft Points account is closed". I wanted to get rid of my hotmail account anyhow please tell me how to Close Hotmail Email Account or Windows Live ID. Suggestion welcome

Re: How to Close Hotmail Email Account or Windows Live ID

To close your Windows Live account:

• Go to the Account Summary page.
    • On the navigation bar, click Settings.
    • Under Common tasks, click Close your account.
    • Verify that the correct Windows Live ID user name appears, type your password, and then click Yes.

Important :

If you are managing your child's account, the child's account permissions will be canceled if you close your account. The account which you are trying to close should not have any premium services (These are paid subscription based services such as Live Mail Plus that require you to establish a billing relationship with Microsoft) or with a Windows Live Mail inbox, Cancel all the subscription and services or associated to Windows Live Mail account before you closing your Windows Live ID account. Some of your information will not be deleted. To learn more about this see Microsoft Online Privacy Notice.

To close a Hotmail account, the first and foremost thing i would suggest you is stop using it. After thirty days, any unused account becomes inactive. After ninety days, the passport becomes inactive. You can also close your Hotmail account from the account itself. To do this, follow these steps:
    • Click Help on any Hotmail page.
    • Type Close Account in the section keyword search of the Help screen.
    • Click on a category Close your account on the help screen.
    • Click on the link Fencing accounts highlighted in blue.
    • Read the instructions. When you are sure you understand the terms associated with closing an account, click on my account Fencing.

My Windows Live Messenger 8.1 does not want to automatically connect to my account, while the 3 boxes which are needed to be checked for auto logon are checked. It takes me all the time click on "Connect" I followed some advice as to remove my address and password of the dropdown, then put them back, but it does not work. After a lot of research and googling i could not find a solution so i thought to ask my query in this thread because if i did not get a solution then i will delete the hotmail account. Anyways thanks for replying in advance

Firstly when you throw WLM, looks that the 3 boxes are checked and that your address is correct.

Then go to Tools> Options ...> General

In the Options section connecting the first 3 boxes must be ticked.

If it does not always work, download the latest version (8.5) this change can be something else I do not see anything else.
    Or at worst uninstall WLM and reinstall everything then.

Addition: for me even if I tick the 3 boxes, automatic connection shall be made only when the PC starts up and that also launches internet connection. If I close WLM and I re-opened, even with the 3 boxes checked it does not connect directly, I must click on "Connect", so I think what you ask is impossible. Do not disconnect from WLM and it will stay connected at least.

Hello and thank you! I missed the third box in the options "Automatically sign me when I'm on the Internet." Also, if I close WLM and I reopens, surprise: it connects automatically! Thank you, all my problem is solved!

You do not use your Hotmail account and want to remove it so nobody will needlessly write to this address? Follow our instructions to complete your address.

• Log in to your Windows Live account , by typing your Hotmail address and your password.
    • At the bottom of the summary page that appears, click the Close Account link.
    • Microsoft displays a warning page and explanation. At the bottom of the page, retype your password and click the Yes button to delete your account
    • Microsoft announces that you can not close your Windows Live account if you close your Hotmail account.