Thread: Internet Explorer won't work in normal mode on vista 64-bit

Internet Explorer won't work in normal mode on vista 64-bit

As you might be knowing, i am a Windows 7 user. Recently i installed Windows Vista 64 bit on one of my computer. Everything is running fine except INternet Explorer. I dont know for what reason, IE is just unable to work on my Vista system in normal mode. When i boot vista in safe mode, it works fine but in normal boot. Its strange for me. Do you guys have any idea bout the same ? Please help.

Re: Internet Explorer won't work in normal mode on vista 64-bit

You should try to reinstall Internet Explorer and see if it works. IE for Windows Vista have many security enhancements that provide better protection against spyware and malware. However, poorly written supplements can affect the browsing experience in Internet Explorer, even if it is not spyware or malware. Anyways, there is a new feature called Reset Internet Explorer settings. This feature allows you to return to the initial state of Internet Explorer or no additional browser extension. So, try resetting Internet Explorer settings.

I had the same problem just twice or thrice on my Vista too, but i started running in No Add-on mode and it got fixed. So, i'll suggest you to try the same. To start Internet Explorer in 'No Add-ons mode just click on Start, point to All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, then click Internet Explorer (No Add-ons). If the problem disappears after this method, use the Manage Add-ons to identify the source of the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by labman View Post
    Anyways, there is a new feature called Reset Internet Explorer settings. This feature allows you to return to the initial state of Internet Explorer or no additional browser extension. So, try resetting Internet Explorer settings.
    Thanks for the quick reply mate. Basically i use Firefox as my default browser and the Vista system is for my family members and they use Internet Explorer. As i dont have much idea about IE, don't know how to rest it. Please help. Thankls again.

To reset Internet Explorer settings, follow these steps:
    1. Start Internet Explorer.
    2. Click Tools on the toolbar, then click Internet Options.
    3. Under the Advanced tab, click Reset, then OK.
    4. Test Internet Explorer to determine if the problem is resolved.

Note that you can not reset the following four parameters by using the RIES for applications other than Internet Explorer use these settings. The four available settings are:
    1. Enable folder view for FTP sites (outside of Internet Explorer)
    2. Use Passive FTP (for compatibility with firewalls and DSL modems)
    3. Always use ClearType for HTML
    4. Check the Certificate Revocation List

As you said you are not able to run on IE on recently install Windows Vista, try to open it from command prompt in normal mode. Actually try opening a blank page. Click Start, click Run, type iexplore in the Open box, then click OK. If Internet Explorer starts correctly, follow these steps to use a blank page as your start page:
    • In the Toolbar, click Tools, then Internet Options.
    • On the General tab, note the address listed in the area start page. This address may cause the problem.
    • Click Use Blank, and then the OK button.
    • Close Internet Explorer. Then, reinstall Internet Explorer.

Malware and viruses are often the cause of slowdowns or failures of Internet Explorer. If you can access the internet, use the removal tool for malware scan for viruses or malicious software on your computer. You can also use another anti-spyware such as Ad-Aware, Spyboot, etc..