Thread: Domino 7 - No route found to domain gmail.com from server

Domino 7 - No route found to domain gmail.com from server

One of my client is using Domino 7 mailbox server but recently he is facing some problems while sending mails. According to him he is unable to send external emails and usually receive the error message as:

"No route found to domain gmail.com from server "

He says he have checked all the settings and connections but none solved the problem. I think the SMTP gateway and server is working properly because they are able to send and receive emails internally. What could be the actual cause of the problem according to you?

Re: Domino 7 - No route found to domain gmail.com from server

It could be DNS resolution problem. To check this see if you can resolve any of the names from the server. Simply log in to the server and go to the command prompt, if its Windows, or else go to the SSH, if it Linux, and try to ping "gmail.com". If you can get the ping request with proper reply and IP address then it is well and good, but if it isn't then you need to check your IP address configuration and make sure that the DNS server is able to resolve the addresses. In other case, you need to check your firewall settings to confirm if it isn't blocked.

As per your question, do you want to say that you are not able to send or receive emails from Gmail only or from all external IP addresses? To check this go to the SMTP gateway or any server you have that deals with sending/receiving emails, open up the command prompt and type:
    Code:
    telnet mail.yahoo.com 25
    If you receive a black screen that's not server problem but if it isn't and you see an error message saying "Connection Failure" then that is certainly your port problem.

hi,

firstofall do you send the emails via dns or you use some smtp gateway (relay server)

first lookup the mx records for gmail & note down the ip address. if problem continues you may manually route the mails for gmail.com to the ip address

Thanks for you input guy. I think I should provide you some more information to you in order to expect an accurate result. We have 5 mailbox servers which points to single hub server which in turn points to SMTP gateway server. All the 5 mailbox server can send/receive emails to each other internally. But they can't send email to any external domain such as yahoo, gmail, hotmail etc. Both the hub server and SMTP server are functional. I tried telnet connection to port 25 and it is working. However other mail server could not use this port since they are using NRPC protocol and my firewall stops them using this port.

Hi,

the smtp gateway server is again a lotus domino server or some other server which is not managed by you.

You need to try to route gmail.com manually to the smtp gateway server from your hub servers.

Basically, according to me, there are many important things that allows emails from going out of the SMTP server to internet. First is SMTP connection document from your mail server to Internet. So you need to check it if it is proper. Secondly, on hub server and SMTP server console type: "sh server" and then press the PAUSE button. Now look for the pending emails count under "Pending mail" field. It informs you if a mails are queing on your mail server. If the count is much more such as 80, 100,150,... then that is some serious problem since your emails are not delivered yet. Restart your mail router and see if this helps. As you said, your firewall is blocking port 25; so does this means emails are even blocked? Recheck it! Also make sure your antivirus is also allowing emails to be sent and received.

I think that's connection record or domain document problem instead of DNS because in such case you would have NDR from the outbound gateway SMTP server. Did you rechecked the address book, if not then do so and make sure the system is routing mail to the gateway server. I personally use Foreign SMTP domain document which is directed towards the internet domains.