Thread: NetMeeting Remote Desktop & Firewall

NetMeeting Remote Desktop & Firewall

Hi, i use to work on Windows Xp at home and at office as well. Now i want to access my PC from my office through NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing. But my firewall (home pc) is not allowing the connection. I dont know setup process of the XP built in firewall and which port to keep open. Is anyone here to help me for the same ? help appreciated.

Re: NetMeeting Remote Desktop & Firewall

Its very simple process actually. The port you need to keep opened is 3389 which you can do from your Network connection's properties. Simply right click on Network connection and select properties. Now switch to the Advance tab and than at the bottom of the window click on settings button. Here check mark the box infront of remote desktop. You are done.

NetMeeting uses the IP ports (Internet Protocol) to:
    Target Port
    -------------------------------------
    389 Internet Locator Server [Transmission Control Protocol (TCP)]
    522 User Location Server [User Location Server, ULS] (TCP)
    1503 T.120 (TCP)
    1720 H.323 call setup (TCP)
    1731 Audio call control (TCP)
    Dynamic H.323 call control (TCP)
    Dynamic Streaming H.323 [RTP (Realtime Transport Protocol) over UDP (User Datagram Protocol)]
    To establish outbound NetMeeting connections through a firewall, the firewall must be configured so that it can do the following:
    1. Pass through primary TCP connections on ports 522, 389, 1503, 1720 and 1731.
    2. Pass through secondary UDP connections on dynamically assigned ports (1024-65535).

Windows XP automatically enables the firewall built into the system to protect you when you surf the Internet. But this setting affects the operation of certain functions, including the module Sharing Netmeeting remote desktop, video conferencing software from Microsoft. To use, you must define an exception to the firewall.

To do this, open the Control Panel and then double-click the Windows Firewall icon. In the window that appears, select the Exceptions tab and then click Add Program. Then click the Browse button, then type% ProgramFiles% \ NetMeeting \ conf.exe in the Filename field. Then click Open then OK.

Click again on the Add Program button and then click Browse. Take this time the path% systemroot% \ System32 \ mnmsrvc.exe in the File name box, click Open then OK. Close the window finally setup the firewall by clicking on the OK button. Sharing Remote Desktop Netmeeting is now fully functional.

On a campus network, you do not let all the customers to connect to all possible ports, but only those necessary. Similarly, from the outside it is impossible to connect to other ports of our servers as necessary (ports 80 of our Web servers, port 25 of our mail servers, etc. .. .). The ports that have no reason to be accessed from outside are filtered, ie it is impossible to connect them. This prevents a misconfigured server provides access to an unauthorized person with bad intentions. The filtering material connections from the outside is a firewall (firewall).

The NetMeeting directory services require the use of port 389 or the port 522, depending on the type of server used. The problem with the H.323 protocol stack is that the number of ports it is necessary to open is simply astounding: There is a list of static ports (ports 1503, 1718, 1719, 1720, 1731) which are control ports, but all ports between 1024 and 65535 to allow the exchange of information between clients.