Thread: Sharing Internet Using USB(Tata Photon +) Modem

Sharing Internet Using USB(Tata Photon +) Modem

Hi,
    I have a TATA usb photo + modem. I am primarly using this on my laptop. Right now there are some computer in my office on which I want to share my internet connection. But I am not able to figure out how to do that. The modem is installed on my system and it shows a dialer shortcut on the desktop. Does it is possible to share this connection. What about the speed. I am using Windows.

Re: Sharing Internet Using USB(Tata Photon +) Modem

You will not get a good speed for this. You will just need to create a network on your pc. However, the number of users is more important for the bandwidth for each of them will be low because the users share the flow. So if eight people are connected to an connection with 512 Kb / s then the speed wil be either 64 kb / s per person or 6 or 7 kb / s per person. And in case of dailup it is much lower.

You pc will act as the server while the other network computers will be client. By this you can assign a ip address to the client pc and use the internet connection. To enable the Internet Connection Sharing on the host, just click the right mouse button on My Network Places on the desktop and choose Properties from the menu. Click the right mouse button on your connection icon and select Properties. Then, click on the Advanced tab and check Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection and the other two boxes.

It is quiet easy to setup the network connecion in vista. For that you need to go network connection from control panel and then click on manage network. After that right click on LAN and choose properties. Then go to TCP/IP and choose automatic settings. You can manually provide settings but this work low on USB modem support.

Open control panel and then double-click on network connections. Then after that right click on Local Area Connection and choose Properties. In that go to TCP/IP and run the setup. In the tab Computer Name, you will see the computer name and group work in which it is located. Click on Network ID to change the working group, it is preferable that the two computers are in the same work group.

At home, you have a local network between your different computers one of which is connected to the Internet via a broadband connection. It may therefore be worthwhile to make the Internet accessible to your other computers on the LAN by sharing your connection. But in case of Dial usb modem the scenario is bit different. First you will need to bring all the pc on your network and then activate your internet connection.

It is not worth using a usb modem on lan. There is will no speed as compare to a broadband internet. You will also not be able to configure the same properly. On broadband internet the speed is shared to greate extent and the same goes much lower on lan. If you connect to the Internet with a 56K modem, nothing prevents you from sharing your connection between two computers. Note however that the bandwidth will be too just to surf comfortably on two computers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mascouten View Post
    Hi,
    I have a TATA usb photo + modem. I am primarly using this on my laptop. Right now there are some computer in my office on which I want to share my internet connection. But I am not able to figure out how to do that. The modem is installed on my system and it shows a dialer shortcut on the desktop. Does it is possible to share this connection. What about the speed. I am using Windows.

Hi,

We would like to inform you that Tata Photon+ connection cannot be shared on other PC's.

Thank You.

torrfriend Guest

We would like to inform you that Tata Photon+ connection cannot be shared on other PC's
    why n't, every thing have solution.....wait and see friend, some one will post about success story

The most simple and fastest way to share share Tata Photon+ connection is to acquire a 3G gateway that will share the modem and subsequently you will be able to connect to the router via ethernet or else wifi. There are a number of such stuffs available for auction on ebay. Just you need to search is 3g router or evdo. One of my friend have bought one intended for a comparable solution and is very pleased with it.

Quote Originally Posted by torrfriend View Post
    why n't, every thing have solution.....wait and see friend, some one will post about success story
    Thanks for your confidence, torrfriend. I appreciate it. No lock is made in this world without its key, right ?

No one gave a solution to this, all are untried advices.

Steps are:
    1. Set up your network connecting the two systems. You can do this by using a switch. I would recommend using a cheap wireless router. Make sure your systems can see each other and exchange files.

2. Download a free proxy software (like winproxy from downloads.com).

3. Install and run the proxy server on the system from which you connect the Tata Photon service.

4. Configure the other system(s) to use this proxy. Configuration settings is provided by the proxy software manual/installation steps.

Sure works like hell. Decent speed and all.