Thread: D-Sub or DVI. Is there a real difference?

D-Sub or DVI. Is there a real difference?

I am planning to buy the new HD LCD monitor for my desktop computer system. But before buying the monitor i want to know about the D-Sub and DVI connection ports because my CPU has both the ports. So which is better from these two connector types. Is there any monitor available which has the both types of connectors?

Re: D-Sub or DVI. Is there a real difference?

Hi shimani, there is very big difference in the D-Sub and DVI type of the connectors. The D-Sub connector is used only in the computers while the DVI connectors can be used in the computer system along with the many High Definition devices. So if the graphic card of your system supports the HD output then you can use the DVI port.

The full name of the D-Sub is "D-subminiature" and it is one of the common electrical connector which is used mainly in the computer systems. It contains more than two parallel pin rows. The part which contains the pin contacts is known as the plug or male connector and the containing socket contacts is known as the socket or female connector .

The DVI port is used in the new types of the LCD and the LED monitors. So, if your computer system has the DVI display port then you can easily connect the LCD and LED monitor to your system. The Video and the image quality with the DVI display port is better as compared to the D-sub display port which was used in most of the computer system.

Most of the desktop computer system does not comes with the inbuilt DVI display port they come with the D-sub display port only. If your desktop has the new type of the graphic card which supports the HD video output then it will have the DVI output port for connecting with the LCD or LED monitors. You can also connect the system to the LCD or LED televisions using this DVI port.