Thread: MacBook Pro Time Machine over the internet

MacBook Pro Time Machine over the internet

Is it possible to have Time Machine can be functional over the internet? I am running with MacBook Pro for work and often away on client sites, but have connected with the network . Can I configure it up so that when I am connected outside from my home the backup still works sending data back to my home network?

Obviously it would require to manage the process so that tons of data is not moving backwards and forwards, but it could do a whole backup when I am at home and then just stream changes over the internet when I am away from home.

I was just able to do this with the help of SSH and Remote Login. I used MacFuse Core ready on google and MacFusion to mount my disk with remote access. I performed a full backup through the firewire, hooked it up to my dad's machine
    and mounted it over the internet. Luckily, Time Machine detects it (provided that the mounted drive has the similar name as it did before) and backs it up over the internet. I am newbie for this stuff. Let me know what level you are on and I can provide you much details to help you out

Hello buddy,

Thanks for your suggestion.It seems like that you have made a better start on this. I will wait with baited breath, and as soon as I found my Time Capsule I will provide it a go. It would be really good to have my computer backing up whole time I am connected to the internet. I think, the incremental backups would not use so much bandwidth once the whole backup is taken at home. Please Keep on posting until find a good solution!!!!!!

Re: MacBook Pro Time Machine over the internet

I seems this is a better stale link, but since it came up first in the Google returns, I thought I would post my setup here. I am running with a Macbook Pro 13" Unibody. I first implemented a Time-machine to backup to a 4TB Drobo that is connected to my iMac upon my home network (WiFi). When I moved to use the Macbook from a clients office, I figured out that the Time-machine icon moving in the menu bar. I didn't even feel that this would work until I saw the icon spinning. I thought maybe it was trying to take backup, and just not occurring an error, but no; it was actually taking the back up of the iMac at my home upon the Internet. Even cooler, I was able to launch Time Machine and Restore over the Internet.
    Last edited by Xmen; 27-04-2010 at 06:05 AM.

I got the internet connection and Internet has been acting very strange for about three weeks . Time Machine has been working well for this full time. Suddenly, last night, while on the internet, a message about Airport and Time Machine come up. It was late, so I switched off my system with the intention of resolving it this morning. Opened book in the morning to find no airport signal, there is no network with my name on it, no connection to Time Machine, unable to locate my entire backups, can no longer complete a backup...I need some help to sort out the problem !!

Okay, The solution can help you to sort out the problem. First of all, I would try
    to turn off the power on your cable modem, router, and time machine, and then switch the power back on each of them in that way. Restart your machine as well and then try to connect. Is your laptop able to connect to the device that is connected to the time machine (Any device that should be connected to any device such as printer)?

Thanks and regards !!!!!!