Thread: SnowLeopard and my External FireWire drive.

SnowLeopard and my External FireWire drive.

I am having an iMac 3.06 and installed the SnowLeopard on the external FireWire Drive. Nevertheless, there are a few application on the FireWire drive that do not believe that the external drive is the boot drive although I have booted the external FireWire Drive.
    One more thing which I like to mention that the FireWire drives have the 400 ports and therefore I have to purchase the special cable for converting from 400 ports to 800 ports.

How can I fix the problem related to this SnowLeopard and my External FireWire drive?

Re: SnowLeopard and my External FireWire drive.

I know that it sound arrogant, but are you sure that you are actually booting from the FireWire drive? I was also facing the problem while running mine till the time I have added a few visual cues for making sure which drive I am using.

One way it to look at the order of the drive that is on the desktop, and the other way is to have desktop wallpaper exclusively to each drive. I simply screen grabbed from the TextEdit but it is not pretty, but it is effective.

You have raised an excellent point,

But, I am sure that it is booting into the external FireWire hard drive. It is displaying the first icon on the desktop. One more thing that each drive is having a different desktop and also have the different application installed. The external FireWire is solely setup for the midi/audio/video work and the main hard disk only has a less number of midi/audio/video programs.

The only option left for me is to use another external FireWire drive and observe that what will happen. It will be better I someone can provide me some instruction for installing Snow Leopard from an external Firewire or USB drive

Here are the simple step for installing Snow Leopard from an external Firewire or USB drive
    1. First, launch the disk utility
    2. After that select the external FireWire that you prefer to user as the boot drive.
    3. Now click the partition from the menu options.
    4. After that select one partition and then click the “option” given in the partition scheme.
    5. Now select the top option for the “GUID Partition Table”
    6. Now click on “OK” for creating the GUID partition.
    7. Then click on the “Restore” tab inside Disk Utility
    8. After that select the newly created Snow Leopard 10.6
    9. If the restoration is complete, then it will not boot by Mac OS
    10. After that reboot the Mac and holding down the “Option” key for pulling up the boot loader and then select the SnowLeopard install drive you have created.

Here are the steps for preparing the Mac operating system for upgrading SnowLeopard.
    1. First clean up your Mac operating system.
    2. After that back up your data.
    3. Now make a bootable backup of Your Mac operating system.
    4. Then Upgrade Path to Snow Leopard
    Following these simple steps you can easily upgrade the snow leopard.