Thread: Vodafone (Huawei K3520) mobile broadband dongle

Vodafone (Huawei K3520) mobile broadband dongle

Hi,
    I am confused here in using the Vodafone mobile broadband dongle on my linux pc. I am trying to configure Huawei K3520 usb modem on the system. I had checked out the same on a different 64 bit karmic installatoin support where there is no Betavine packages and ozerocdoff was available in the Synaptic manager. In the older system I might have used Betavine ozerocdoff package for the modem.

Re: Vodafone (Huawei K3520) mobile broadband dongle

You might be wrong about this. In my case I ahd used ozerocdoff_0.4-2_i386.deb package which actually given me a wrong architecture when I was trying to configure the modem on Karmic Installation. Due to this I was getting error which does not comes on 32 bit systems using i386 packages. Now the issue here is that to get ozerocdoff on a 64 bit system I need a 64 bit installation package for the same which I am not able to locate right now on Betavin.

If you go on Betavine site you can simply read that the package which you are trying to use is created for Jaunty, Ubuntu Hardy and Intrepid. The condition for this installation is that the OS must be running on Intel 386 architecture chip set which means the 32 bit architecture. I think Bitavine more focus on netbooks which are mostly 32 bit installation support but on the same hand 64 bit is also quiet common on new machines.

For this you will need to get usb-modeswitch_0.9.7_amd64.deb, ozerocdoff_0.4-2_amd64.deb and vodafone-mobile-connect_2.20.01-1_all.deb. This packages are necessary to run the usb modem on your Linux system. This are the latest version which works well. You will just need to make sure that the first wo must all be a .deb based version which must be similar to amd64.deb.

That is right you can just install at the above mentioned three packages on your system and then the usb dongle works like charm. You can then find those under Application > Internet the support tool to activate the Internet. The packages mentioned on the above post will only run on the Intel 64-bit processors and on AMD system. But on the same had they might run on 32 bit also.

I really appreciate the above posts to provide such a valuable information. I was too trying out for a long time to make the Vodafone Wireless USB modem to work on my Ubuntu system. I am getting a bit error where I noticed that my root partition was too small and there is a bit more amount of space needed. I had removed junked and installed those packages.