Thread: Can't download large files

Can't download large files

I have just installed the Firefox browser on my computer. everything is working fine but there are some issue related to the downloading of files or downloading large software.

When i come to download small files,it is being download but when i goes to download large files means more than 30MB files, the progress bar is getting stopped in the middle of processing and nothing happened after that and downloading unsuccessful. Do you all are ware of such type of error.

It is the Firefox behavior that the downloading of contents are stored to a default location that can be Desktop or, depending on your operating system, to a special "Downloads" folder unless you have selected a different download folder. If downloads getting failed or Firefox switched into hang mode then it can be related to the download location.

To configure another downloading folder, go to "Tools menu => Options" and under "Main / Downloads" section , choose another location and save the changes and come back to the page and try to download the file...

If you are still suffering with the same issue then you can restore the default Firefox download folder settings with the following procedure :

Type about:config in the address bar. A list of preferences will be displayed . Scroll down the list and reset the following preferences that have a user set status (right-click on the preference and click "Reset"):

• browser.download.dir
    • browser.download.downloadDir
    • browser.download.folderList
    • browser.download.lastDir
    • browser.download.useDownloadDir

After then, you can configure back to your selected download folder location, if you need to change that in your Firefox options/preferences.

Form the Firefox menu, move to the "Tools -> Downloads" and click "Clean Up" or "Clear List" (It is for different version of Firefox) . If removing the list is not able to solve the issue or it causes Firefox to hang or crash then you need manually remove the download history with the following way :

1. Close the Firefox browser.
    2. Now,Open the Firefox profile directory (Check the linked article for profile folder locations).
    NOTE : On Windows and Linux, the profile folder may be hidden so you need to be sure that your hidden settings are disabled for files and folders.
    3. Delete the downloads.rdf file (it will be regenerated when required by the system itself ).

The Download manager plugins can be one more reason for this very issue, it creates interfere with Firefox downloads if the download manager is uninstalled or otherwise stops functioning. Such plugins include:

1- NPGetRt.dll (GetRight)
    2- NPWinGet.dll (WinGet)
    3- npdap.dll (Download Accelerator Plus)
    4- npfd.dll (FreshDownload)
    5- NPNXCatcher.dll, NPNXCatcher(Audio).dll and NPNXCatcher(Video).dll (Net Transport)

If you are getting any of these plugins within your browser then just remove those plugin files from the folder that is contained within the following location: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins . For Firefox 3, try disabling the plugins through
    Tools=> Add-ons => Plugins.

Re: Can't download large files

Thanks for this topic, my friend has the same problem these days..

Re: Can't download large files

To check if its your computer, connection or browser then try to use another browser (IE) to download the large file. If its successful then its your Firefox if its not then maybe its your PC or your internet connection.