Thread: Subscription And Installation of Google Analytics

Subscription And Installation of Google Analytics

Hi, one of my friend has just started blogging. Now, on behalf of him and wanted to know some important things from you all guys and hope you can help me out for sure. Actually while searching for Google Analytics on this forum i found the following thread What is Google Analytics ?. I should thank you all for the same as it contains enough i wanted to know about Google Analytics.

Now could you guys please make me know how to subscribe and install Google Analytics on a site to analyze website traffic ? Please let me know soon. I appreciate all your helps.

Re: Subscription And Installation of Google Analytics

Google Analytics is the enterprise-class web analytics solution that gives you rich insights into your website traffic and marketing effectiveness. It is a free service offered by Google for analyzing the audience of a website.

The first thing to do is sign up for Google Analytics. This requires having a Google Account. If you have Gmail or any other Google account than visit google.com/analytics/ and than click on the link 'Sign up now' on the right side.

Then, log in with your Google Account. Then click the Register button. Now you need to complete the following information on the site to analyze:
    • Web site URL: The URL of the website analyze.
    • Account Name: The account name for this website. You can scan multiple websites on Google Analytics, so you have one account per site.
    • Country or territory of the zone: The country where the site is hosted
    • Timezone: The timezone used by the site. This field is automatically filled with the correct value once the country informed.

Once done, click the Continue button. Then, some personal information will be requested. Finally, accept the terms of use of Google Analytics and click on Create Account to confirm the account creation. If everything is ok than click Finish and Save. Thats it !!!

Now that your Google Analytics account is created and your site is registered on your account, you can begin the process of analyzing your site. The analysis of your website is using JavaScript that should be included on each of your webpages.

For this code, use the "Edit" on the right of the website, then the link "Check Status" in the top right to check the status of the tracking code (the script). Google Analytics tells you the tracking code is installed correctly on your website (it checks the home page of your site). But more interestingly, this page also provides you with the tracking code to insert on your pages. You find it under "Paste this code on your site."

The only thing that will change between this code and the code that is generated by your Analytics account is the account id (UA-XXXXXX-X) to be replaced by your username. Now insert this script in all pages of your site web. Include this code at the very end of your web page just before the closing body tag:
    Code:
     < / body >
    Once this is done as soon as Google Analytics will receive the first data from your site, you should see the state of the tracking code change.

Google Analytics also offers a new tracking code that is asynchronous. The features are exactly the same, but the loading and execution of the script is done asynchronously. This has several advantages like:
    1. The loading time of the script is faster and therefore less impact on loading time of page
    2. Improved data recovery and longer visits as visits logguées completed before calling the JavaScript code should no longer occur. In fact, we can now place the Analytics code in the page above because the script is loaded asynchronously.
    3. Fewer errors tracking

You can find more information on asynchronous tracking code by following the link "New! Try the asynchronous tracking code" that takes you on documentation (in English) of the tracking code asynchronously. Here's what look like the previous code with asynchronous function:
    Code:
    <script   type = " text / javascript " > var _gaq = _gaq | | [ ] ; _gaq . push ( [ ' _setAccount ' , ' UA-XXXXXXXX-X ' ] ) ; _gaq . push ( [ ' _trackPageview ' ] ) ; ( function () { var ga = document . createElement ( ' script ' ) ; ga . type = ' text/javascript ' ; ga . async = true ; ga . src = ( ' https: ' = = document . location . protocol ? ' https://ssl ' : ' http://www ' ) + ' .google-analytics.com/ga.js ' ; (document . getElementsByTagName ( ' head ' ) [ 0 ] | | document . getElementsByTagName ( ' body ' ) [ 0 ] ) . appendChild (ga) ; } )() ; </script>
    If you want to use this code, change the account number "UA-XXXXXX-X" with your own and include the script in each of your pages. This time, this script should be included as high as possible on the page as it will not slow the loading of the page. The old script should be removed from the site otherwise we would lose all the advantages of asynchronous script . This asynchronous loading is not supported by all browsers. On browsers that do not support this feature, this code will be executed as the old tracking code.

Here are some indications that Google Analytics provides on your website:
    1. The number of visits / visitors / unique visitors
    2. The number of page views
    3. Information about the sources that led visitors to your site
    4. Keywords referencing your site
    5. Statistics by page / File
    6. Information on visitors (browsers, operating systems, screen resolutions)
    7. Lens configurations
    8. Setting Alerts
    9. Definition of visitor segments
    10. Definition of custom reports