Thread: Small Business Server 2008 and Go Daddy DNS automatically being updated issue

Small Business Server 2008 and Go Daddy DNS automatically being updated issue

My system configuration is as follows

Sonicwall firewall with two internet connections load balanced so I have two Internet Protocol addresses that traffic can flow out of. XXX.XXX.XXX.94 and XXX.XXX.XXX.118. I have these addresses NAT'ed over to the Small Business Server on certain ports. The internal 2008 Small business server is running Microsoft’s DNS (Domain Name system) and only has 192.168.1.X addresses listed in the DNS.

I setup a record with the 94 address and an A record with the 118 address. Ten-15 minutes later the A record with the 94 address is changed to the 118 address. So why this is happening so I really offended with the problem of Small Business Server 2008 and Go Daddy DNS automatically being updated issue. If possible please provide me the information related to External DNS.

Re: Small Business Server 2008 and Go Daddy DNS automatically being updated issue

It is true to that Small Business Sever 2008 has the Dynamic Domain Name system feature enabled. Normally it used for keeping the records of the external Domain Name system up to date and it is done by making the connection to the partner registrar which is hosting eh computer’s domain name and Domain Name system record. If you want to stop it then you have to know how it works.

Re: Small Business Server 2008 and Go Daddy DNS automatically being updated issue

If you want to use one of the registrars under Small Business Server 2008 then you have to transfer domain to them and for that you have use the Connect to the Internet Wizard. It is a dynamic Domain Name system service that will load up.

According to me you should have some knowledge about the Dynamic DNS
    Small Business Server is capable of keeping the external Domain Name System records up-to-date by creating a connection to the partner registrar that is hosting the customer’s domain name and Domain Name system records. Small Business Server uses the “Dynamic Domain Name system Client” service to query the partner registrar to see if the external domain Internet Protocol address has changed. If so, the service will use the new Internet Protocol address in a second call to update the host A record for the domain.
    I'm the Proud Owner of the most dangerous weapon
    known to man kind: Human Brain

May be the knowledge about the services of the Dynamic Service that will ensure the following
    1. A Record: This normally contains the servers Internet protocol address, and is pointed to the FQDN.
    2. MX Record: This is used to point to the a record
    3. TXT Record: This is normally configured as if it were the IAMW wizard
    4. SRV record: _autodiscover._tcp.FQDN points to A record