Thread: Firefox 3 RTM Problems Windows Media Player Plugin port

Firefox 3 RTM Problems Windows Media Player Plugin port

I am facing a weird problem with Mozilla firefox 3 which is installed on the computer. I have installed Windows media player plugin for Mozilla firefox but the Windows Media Player Plugin from Port 25 does not seem to completley work with Active X / WM applications. Video can be played without any problems using Windows Media Player on a website, but the slides dont get updated automatically. The same plugin worked fine in Firefox 2.0.14 and also works Firefox 3 on Mac OS X. To make it work on Mac OS X, silverlight has to be used. Therefore I want to know how to force the videos to render from Silverlight in Windows Vista SP1. Therefore if anybody else is facing similar Firefox 3 RTM Problems Windows Media Player Plugin port then please suggest some solutions.

Re: Firefox 3 RTM Problems Windows Media Player Plugin port

There is some compatibility issue with Mozilla firefox 3 and port 25 due to which you are facing such problems. I am also using Mozilla firefox 3 as a default internet browser on the computer and I am also facing the same problem with it. The slides do not get updated automatically and hence creates lot of problems. I am trying to search a solution for the same and will let you know when I find one. If somebody here knows the solution then please share the information.

The plugin which is installed on the browser can be corrupt due to which the browser is not working properly. Sometimes the files of the plugins/add-ons which are installed on the browser are corrupt. If such corrupt plugins/add-ons are installed on the browser, the browser will either not work at all or will give some problems while running. Therefore try removing the plugin from the browser and download the latest version of the plugin which is available. Install the latest plugin and then see if the same problem persists or not.

I think the problem could be with the Active X component which is the applications are using. The Active X components can be used by wide range of applications to display some kind of files etc on the internet. If the applications such as the browser is not able to use the Active X component properly then it it will lead to problems like the one which you are facing. Therefore I would suggest that you check the working of Active X components on the computer and see if they are working properly or not.

There is one way in which you can solve the problem. Microsoft has released Silverlight 2.0 which is compatible with Mozilla firefox 3.0 browser. Download and install it on the computer. Once the component is installed on the computer, open the website from which you are trying to view the slides. Click on the slides to view and then click on the URL. At the end of the URL there would be port25 written on it, remove port 25 and write SL2 which stands for Silverlight 2.0 and hit enter. Now the slides will be automatically updated and viewable in Firefox 3.0. Same is applicable for using Silverlight for rendering videos in Mac OS X.