Thread: How do I password protect my files and folders in Windows

How do I password protect my files and folders in Windows

In my office Windows XP SP 3 is being install as my Operating system, from few days i am noticing that whenever i am not at my desk, some of my colleges site at my place and check out my important files and folder which contain contact details of our clients, i had told them many times they are still doing the same, when i asked my friend he told me to password protect my files and folders can anyone help me out with it.

Password protect my files and folders in Windows

In that case you don't you look your system whenever you are leaving your desk because this is the best option in this way they can't have any access to your system and at the same time it would be great if you can tell me which version of Windows XP are you using it, so that it would be helpful for me if i get any solution for the same.

Re: How do I password protect my files and folders in Windows

Thanks for replying me i am having Windows XP Professional version as my operating system and due to some reason i can't lock my system because some of the person are allowed to access my system for internet access, taking print out etc. It would be great if you can provide how to password protect my files and folders in Windows XP.

Don't worry Altair Creed i had got a solution where you can password protect your files and folders in Windows XP, for that you need to select the folder which you wish to have password protection, then right click on it and go to Properties option over there you will find Advanced button click on it and then have a check on Encrypt contents to secure data option and finally click on Apply and OK for changes to get effected.

How do I password protect my files and folders in Windows

Instead of doing all this things i would suggest you to install Folder Lock software which allows you to have password protection to your files and folders at the same time this software also comes with some features like locking, encryption, shredding, stealth mode, hack attempt monitoring, portability, plug & play support, history cleaning etc

Quote Originally Posted by Altair Creed View Post
    In my office Windows XP SP 3 is being install as my Operating system, from few days i am noticing that whenever i am not at my desk, some of my colleges site at my place and check out my important files and folder which contain contact details of our clients, i had told them many times they are still doing the same, when i asked my friend he told me to password protect my files and folders can anyone help me out with it.
    Download and install any folder guard/lock software and then keep the files into the locker which is password protected.

McCauley Guest

Amelia's reply makes sense. The best way to protect your data is to set a password on your Windows account and then encrypt the folders in question by Windows means. For the users who have to access your computer to go online and for other activities, create a guest account and they will be able to work without causing any damage to you. Another solution is to install a program like TrueCrypt (open source) or Folder Protection (shareware). Once again, I would recommend creating a guest account for your co-workers and setting a password on your account. In fact, your system administrator should have done it for you long ago.

ARRAN Guest

I am using a software known as "folder lock".I suggest you to use it.It has so many advantages.