Thread: Cannot access Internet on my Acer desktop computer

Cannot access Internet on my Acer desktop computer

Hello there, I have recently bought an Acer desktop computer which was previously installed with Windows Xp. I upgraded the operating system on the computer to Windows 7 and now I cannot access Internet on my computer. I am using a Dlink Wireless router to access Internet on the computer which worked fine with Windows Xp but now I Cannot access Internet on my Acer desktop computer. Therefore if anybody else is facing similar problem with the computer then please suggest some solutions about the issue.

Re: Cannot access Internet on my Acer desktop computer

First check the configuration of the router which you are trying to connect. Sometimes the configuration of the router changes when any new device is added or removed from the network. If such situation occurs then the device will not be able to access the router. To check the configuration of the router, login to the router using the default IP address and then open the configuration page. Check if all the entries are entered properly. If there are any changes to be made, do it and save the configuration of the router. Reboot the router and see if the laptop is able to connect the router.

Check if the drivers for the network adapter are installed and working properly on the computer. Every device which is connected to the computer, requires a set of drivers to be installed on the computer. Drivers act as mediator between the operating system and the device. If appropriate drivers for the network adapter are not installed then the device will not work properly. To check if the drivers are installed and working properly on the computer, right click on my computer and select device manager. Highlight the network adapter and if there are any caution signs, follow the troubleshooting procedure. If that does not help then try and update the drivers.

The default IP version of Windows 7 operating system is IPv6 while the default IP version of Windows XP is IPv4. As the router was configured to work with Windows XP computer, it has to be configured for Windows 7 computer. You will have to disable the IPv6 support of Windows 7. To remove the disable the IPv6 support of Windows 7, open the network connection and go to LAN properties. Go to TCP/IP properties. Remove the check mark from the option which says "Enable IPv6 support". Save the settings and reboot the system. Check if the computer is able to connect to the router.

The network interface card is responsible for establishing and maintaining connection to the network. If the NIC is faulty then the computer will not be able to access the network. All the NIC's have a software interface port configured which you can use to test the NIC. To test the NIC, click on start menu and select RUN. Now type "ping 127.0.0.1" and hit enter. Check the errors in the data sent and received by the system. Ideally there should be no errors in the data sent and received. If there is any error then you will have to replace the NIC as it may be faulty.