Thread: Can only access Internet using Internet explorer

Can only access Internet using Internet explorer

Hello there, I am facing a weird issue with my computer. I have a desktop computer which is installed with Windows XP operating system. Internet Explorer is used as default browser on the computer. The problem I am facing is, I Can only access Internet using Internet explorer. No other application can access Internet. If I try to update any other application, the system gives an error message saying "Internet connection unavailable". Can this problem be because of the router? I am using a Dlink router. Please suggest some solutions.

Re: Can only access Internet using Internet explorer

I think your computer is infected by some virus because of which is not allowing other applications to access the internet. Virus's get downloaded while visiting certain website or while downloading certain data from the internet. Virus's have the tendency of getting linked with the files of the applications which are frequently used. If such a situation rises then the application will not work properly. Therefore scan the system with some updated antivirus and check for all the files which are infected. Repair or quarantine the files which are infected. After repairing all the files which are infected, see if the other applications are able to access the Internet or not.

Are there any security software's installed on the computer? Security software's work on the principle of blocking all the unknown traffic coming to or going from the computer. It is to prevent possible virus attack. Due to this working principle, some times the traffic which is desired by the user is also blocked. You can try moving the process of the application to the trusted application list of the security software and then check if the applications are able to get updated. Also try and disable the real time shield of the security software and then check if all the applications are able to access Internet or not.

It is possible that the router is blocking the traffic which is sent or received by the other applications. Routers block the port from which the lot of traffic sent or received. This is to ensure that the communicating channel of the router does not get flooded. Therefore I would suggest that you check whether the router is blocking the traffic which is generated by the applications. You can contact the ISP and get the router checked before doing any more troubleshooting.

By looking at the problem it looks like typical operating system failure problem. Operating system which is installed on the computer has lot of files which are associated to it. If any of the files which is associated to the operating system is corrupt or missing on the system then the operating system wont work properly. Therefore If you have the installation disk of the operating system. Insert it and boot the system from the drive. Install a fresh copy of Windows operating system on the computer and then see if all the applications are able to use the internet connection or not.