Thread: Toshiba Tecra M2V laptop cannot access Internet

Toshiba Tecra M2V laptop cannot access Internet

Hi, I am facing an unusual problem with Toshiba tecra M2V laptop which I am using. The laptop is installed with Windows Xp operating system. I have a desktop computer which has internet connection. This connection is provided by Dlink Wireless router. The problem is I am not able to connect to the router using Wireless connection. Whenever I try to connect the laptop to the router, it shows that the connection has been established but I cannot access Internet on the laptop. So if anybody can explain me why my Toshiba Tecra M2V laptop cannot access Internet, it would be really helpful. Thanks in advance.

Re: Toshiba Tecra M2V laptop cannot access Internet

First check if the router is configured properly or not. If the router is not configured properly then the device which is connected using Wireless connection will not be able to access all the resources of the network. It could be the reason why you are not able to access Internet on the laptop. Login to the router and open the configuration page. Check the configuration of the router and do the necessary changes. If changes to the configuration are made, save them and reboot the router. Once the router reboots check if the laptop is able to connect to the router or not.

DHCP is on the router is responsible for assigning IP addresses to the devices which are connected to the router using Wireless connection. DHCP assigns IP addresses to the devices from the pool of IP address which is availble. If the DHCP on the router is not working properly, then the router will not be able to assign IP address to the device connected. Hence login to the router and then disable the DHCP. Once the DHCP is disabled, login to the router again and enable the DHCP again. Re-enabling DHCP will hopefully solve the problem.

All the devices which are connected to the computer require set of drivers to be installed on the computer. If the appropriate set of drivers are not installed then the device will not work properly. Therefore check if the drivers for the network adapter are installed and working properly or not. To check if the drivers are installed and working properly, right click on My computer and select device manager. Now highlight the network adapter and check if there are any caution signs or not. If there are any caution signs, follow the troubleshooting procedure. If the troubleshooting procedure does not help then try and update the drivers for the network adapter.

Are there any security software's installed on the computer? If yes then it could be the reason why you are not able to access the Internet on the laptop. Security software's have the basic tendency to block unknown traffic coming to or from the computer. Due to such tendency sometimes the traffic desired by the user is also blocked. Therefore I would suggest that check the blocked applications list of the security software and add the process of the applications which you use to access the Internet to the Trusted applications list of the security software. Once the processes are added to trusted applications list, the security software will not block the application and you will be able to access Internet without any problems.