Thread: Cannot download .xls file in Mozilla firefox

Cannot download .xls file in Mozilla firefox

Hello friends, I am facing very unusual problem in Mozilla firefox. I have a desktop computer which is running on Windows XP operating system. The computer has a broadband connection and Firefox is installed as the default browser. The problem is whenever I try to download .xls file from a particular website, it does not get downloaded instead Firefox is redirected to the domain where the file is originally hosted. I cant figure out what is causing the problem and hence need your help in solving the issue. Therefore if anybody is not able to download .xls file in Mozilla firefox then please share some information which might help me in solving the issue.

Re: Cannot download .xls file in Mozilla firefox

Have you tried using some other browser to download the file? There are many browsers which are available online which can be used instead of firefox. Google chrome, Safari and opera are some of the browsers which are available. All the mentioned browsers have more or less same features like firefox and hence can be used without any problems. Download one of the mentioned browser and install it on the computer. Once installed, try and download the excel file from the website and see if the file gets downloaded or not.

It is possible that the version of the browser which you are using is corrupt and hence you are not able to download the excel file. All the applications have many files which are associated to it. If any of the file which is associated to the application gets corrupt then the application wont function properly. To solve the problem, remove the installed version of the browser from the computer. Remove all the files and keys which are related to the application. Once all the traces of the application is removed from the browser, reinstall and check if the browser is working or not.

Sometimes the add-ons and the applications which are installed on the browser create similar problems like the one which you are facing. Many times the files of the applications which are installed on the browser are corrupt due to which the files of the browser also gets corrupted. To be sure if the problem is due to the corrupt application/addon, open the browser in safe mode. To start the browser in safe mode, type "firefox.exe/safemode" in the run tab and hit enter. In safe mode all the applications and the add-ons are disabled therefore if the browser works normally in the safe mode, then find and remove the add-on which is creating problem.

By looking at the symptoms I think it is case of browser hijack. In browser hijack the preferences of the browser are changed due to which the browser redirects the user to some other website when some other desired website is to be visited. Check the preferences of the browser first. To check the preferences of the browser, open the firefox and then select tools. Select Internet options and check all the options in all the Tabs. If there are any changes to be made, do it and save the settings. Once done restart the browser and then see if you are able to download the file or not.