Thread: Reducing Window Live Messenger Notification area

Reducing Window Live Messenger Notification area

Hi,
    I am trying to make my old webcam to work on my Windows 7 Laptop. This was working before on Windows XP and Windows Vista. I had tried many things here but nothing gave out result. The other thing I need help in is Windows 7 notification area which is consuming a wide space. I need some steps to reduce the Windows 7 notification area. Does it is possible to run any software by single click for a quick access in Windows 7.

Re: Reducing Window Live Messenger Notification area

That is right that some software can be run with a single click by holding the shift key. But this feature does not work with certain software. Like for eg Photoshop. The instant messaging software Windows Live Messenger from Microsoft can not be reduced in the notification area (near the clock) Windows 7. You an say that this can be a bug since the operation is always possible since Windows XP and Windows Vista.

In Windows Live Messenger by default, the mailer is reduced in the taskbar, thus occupying space in a site that could be better used by another program. To force WLM to reduce in the system tray instead of taskbar, there is a solution. In the Start menu, click All Programs then go to the Windows Live. Using the mouse, right-click on Windows Live Messenger > Properties > Compatibility then choose Run this program in compatibility mode for Windows Vista Service Pack 2.

Yes that will work too for you. You can set the running mode of Windows Live messenger to run under Windows Vista mode. Now when you launch Windows Live Messenger it will run the same way that Windows Vista SP2, ie with the small icon in the tray and not in the taskbar. By this some of the space on the desktop is emptied.

There are some webcams which does not work on Windows 7 due to their driver issue. It is recommended that you first check out for the proper original drivers from the manufacturers. The best is to check for the compatible webcam list on the official site of Windows 7. Till what I know is there are some Logitech web cams which are not compatible with Windows 7.

When you use whatever software may be it is office software, browser or other Windows 7 lets you open a new window of this software with a simple click of the mouse. This trick is apparently not well known, but the technique could not be simpler. To open a new window, simply hold down the SHIFT key and click on the icon of the software in question in the taskbar. A new window will appear.