Thread: Mozilla Firefox does not start

Mozilla Firefox does not start

I recently purchased a new laptop which is running on Windows XP pro. The laptop has Internet connection. To access the internet I use Mozilla firefox browser. Recently to be sure that my computer is safe from virus, I installed AVG antivirus but after installing AVG, Mozilla Firefox does not start. Whenever the Mozilla is tried to open, the process is running in the task manager, but the window is not available. I cant figure out what is causing the problem and hence need your help in solving the issue. Please suggest some solutions regarding same. Any help is highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: Mozilla Firefox does not start

It is possible that there are multiple processes running on the computer of firefox and hence it is not able to start. Go to task manager and check all the processes which are running. If there are many processes of the firefox running, then terminate all the processes of firefox and then start the firefox again. Also while terminating the processes of firefox, terminate all the processes which are unwanted to free up space on the RAM. Then open firefox and see if it opens.

There is a high possibility that the system which you are using is infected with some kind of virus which is not letting Mozilla firefox to function properly. When the virus gets linked to the files associated to the browser then the browser will not work properly. Hence scan the system and then repair or quarantine all the files which are infected. After cleaning all the infected files check if the browser works properly or not. It is possible that you will have to install the browser again after cleaning all the infected files if the number of infected files is more.

Try using the browser in safe mode. Safe mode is the diagnostic mode of Mozilla firefox. In safe mode only the basic requirements of the browser are loaded without any application or addon which is installed on the browser. In safe mode all the applications and the addons are disabled, hence if the problem is with the installed application or addon, the browser will work fine in safe mode. To start the browser in safe mode, type "firefox.exe/safemode". If the browser works fine in safe mode, then find and remove the application or addon which is creating problem.
    Last edited by GhostRider; 08-02-2010 at 02:32 PM.

The installed version of the browser on the computer may be corrupt and hence you are not able to start the browser. Every application has many files associated to it. Even if one of the file associated to the applications get corrupted, then the application will not work properly. Therefore I think that the file associated to the browser must have got corrupt due to which you are facing the problem. You can either try to replace the corrupt files manually or you can reinstall the browser. Before reinstalling the browser, uninstall the browser and delete all the keys and files associated to it. After removing all the keys of the application, you will be able to install the application again without any problem.

Have you tried disabling the antivirus? All the security software's have the basic tendency of blocking all the unknown applications to protect the computer from virus attack. Due to this sometimes the user defined actions are also blocked which creates problem. Check the actions blocked list of the antivirus and remove Mozilla firefox from it and add it to trusted applications. Once the process is moved to trusted applications, try running the application. If it does not work, then disable the antivirus completely and see if you are able to open the application or not.

Re: Mozilla Firefox does not start... at all

This happened to me this morning, and after re-installing twice I just gave up and deleted (after re-install) the whole "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox" directory structure and also the "Application Data\Mozilla" in my profile. Once the profile was deleted, it actually started (didn't even look like starting before and didn't appear in the process list in taskmanager) and asked me to create a new profile or import IE profile.

My issue was probably a corrupt profile, but firefox 3.6 does look very shiny (and is a good match for chrome)