Thread: Cannot download files from Internet using Mozilla firefox

Cannot download files from Internet using Mozilla firefox

Hey everybody, I have an Asus laptop which is running on Windows Xp and powered by Intel Core2duo processor. The laptop is connected to broadband connection which is provided by a Linksys wireless router. I am using Mozilla firefox as the default browser on my computer. The problem is I am not able to download any file from the Internet using Mozilla firefox. Whenever any file is downloaded, it gets downloaded and then disappears. I dont know why I Cannot download files from Internet using Mozilla firefox. This started happening from few days. Are there any other ways to download a file? Please suggest some solution. Is my computer infected by some kind of virus?

Re: Cannot download files from Internet using Mozilla firefox

I would suggest you to check the preferences of the browser first. Like any other software, browser also can be customized by the user. Browser works exactly as the user enters the preferences in the tools tab. Hence check the preferences of the browser first. To check the preferences of the browser, open Mozilla firefox. Now click on Tools and then select option. Now check the preference in all the tabs of the browser and do the changes if necessary. If changes are made, apply them and then restart the browser. After the browser restarts, check if you are able to download the file or not.

The installed version of the browser on the computer is corrupt and hence you are not able to download any file using the browser. All the applications have many files associated to it. If any of the file associated to the applications get corrupt, then the application will not work properly. The files associated to the browser must have got corrupt due to which you are facing the problem. Either replace the files which have got corrupt manually or uninstall the installed version of the browser from the computer. Once the browser is removed, delete all the files and keys which are related to the applications. Once the computer is free from the traces of the application, download and install the latest version of the browser on the computer and then see if you are able to download the file or not.

There are many browsers which are available online which can be used instead of Mozilla firefox. Google Chrome, Safari and IE8 are some advanced browsers which have more or less same features as Mozilla firefox. Download one of the following and install it on the computer. Once installed, check if you are able to download the files from the internet. If other browsers also do not allow the files to be downloaded, then there is something wrong with the Internet connection which you are using. If other browsers work fine, then reinstalling mozilla will help.

Instead of downloading files using different browsers you can try using download manager software's. There are many download manager software's that are available online which can be used to download any type of file. Once the software is installed, you will have to provide the link from which you have to download. Once the link is added, the download starts. The advantage of using download manager software is that you can pause and resume the download anytime you want.

Scan the system with an updated antivirus and check the number of files which are infected. There is a high possibility that the system which you are using is infected with some kind of virus which is not letting Internet explorer to function properly. When the virus gets linked to the files associated to the browser then the browser will not work properly. Hence scan the system and then repair or quarantine all the files which are infected. After cleaning all the infected files check if the browser works properly or not.
    I'm the Proud Owner of the most dangerous weapon
    known to man kind: Human Brain

Mozilla firefox has a diagnostic mode which is known as Safe mode. In safe mode only the basic requirements of the browser are loaded without any application or addon. Hence if the installed application or addon is creating problems in normal working of the browser, then it will work properly in safe mode. To start the browser in safe mode, click on start and then select Run. In run tab, type "firefox.exe/safemode". Check if you are able to download any file or not. If the browser works properly then find and remove the application/addon from the computer.