Thread: I cannot access Internet on dell inspiron 8100

I cannot access Internet on dell inspiron 8100

I have a Dell Inspiron 8100 which is running on Windows XP operating system. The laptop has Internet connection which is provided by a Dlink router. I use Internet Explorer as the default browser to surf Internet. From few days I am not able to access Internet on my laptop. Whenever the URL of the desired website is put in the address bar of the browser, the browser shows "Page cannot be loaded". Also the computer does not allow me to open the C drive on the hard disk. I fear that the hard disk has got corrupt and hence the system is behaving so weird. Therefore If anybody knows Why I cannot access Internet on Dell inspiron 8100 then please share some information.

Re: I cannot access Internet on dell inspiron 8100

Check if the router is connected to the network or not. It is possible that the link which is providing the bandwidth to the router is down. All the routers have indication LED's on the front panel of it. If the router itself is not connected to the network then the computer will not be able access the Internet. Check the LED's on the router. Usually there are 3 LED's on the router, status, Link and Ethernet. All the LED's on the router should be glowing. If any of the LED On the router is not glowing then there is some physical connection problem. Try resetting the router and then connecting to Internet.

Have you tried using some different browser to surf the Internet? It is possible that the browser which you are using has got corrupt and hence is not displaying the website which is desired. There are many browsers which are available online which can be used instead of Internet Explorer. Google Chrome, Mozilla firefox, Safari are different browsers which are available. Download any of the browser on the computer and then install it on the computer. Try using the newly installed browser to access the Internet and see if you are able to connect to it or not.

Are there any security software's installed on the computer? If there are any security software installed on the computer, then they may be reason behind the blocked Internet access. The basic working principle of the security software is to block the unknown traffic coming or going from the computer. Due to this sometimes the traffic which is desired by the user is also blocked. Try moving the processes of the browsers to good known applications of the firewall and the antivirus so that they will not block the traffic coming to this process. You can also try and disable all the security software's on the computer and then see if the Internet works or not.

By looking at the problem it looks like a virus problem. There is high chance that your computer is infected by some virus due to which your operating system has got corrupt. If the virus gets linked with the system files of the operating system then the operating system is not able to use the files, Due to such reason the operating system does not work properly. Hence scan the system with an updated antivirus and then check all the files which are infected by the Virus. Repair or quarantine the files which are infected by the virus. If the repairing does not work then you will have to reinstall the operating system again.

All the devices which are connected to the computer need appropriate software to be installed on the computer so that the device works properly. This software is known as the drivers. If the drivers of the device are not installed then the device will not work properly. Check if the drivers for the network adapter are installed and working properly or not. To check the status of the drivers, go to device manager and then select the network adapter. If there are any caution signs against the network adapter then follow the troubleshooting procedure. Hope the troubleshooting helps in solving the problem.
    I'm the Proud Owner of the most dangerous weapon
    known to man kind: Human Brain