Thread: How to transfer Firefox settings from one to another computer

How to transfer Firefox settings from one to another computer

Hi,

I want transfer Firefox settings from my win xp, office computer to my win vista pc at home. I know the way to transfer the transfer bookmarks but I want to transfer History, Saved Passwords, etc to my pc at home. So can any one tell me how to transfer Firefox settings from one to another computer ??

Re: How to transfer Firefox settings from one to another computer

You can transfer Firefox settings from one to another computer with cloning, you can create a profile, and to double over them all experiments, without affecting the working profile. To create a profile clone follow these simple steps:

1. Create a new profile
    2. Remove the contents and copy the cloned Profile
    3. With the help of any program a batch search and replace text in files, replace the string name of cloned profile (eg, uhxh6u8f.default) in the name of the clone (eg, daf9u3bb.cloned). As such a program suited Advanced Find & Replace, EmEditor, and others.

Mozilla Firefox % USERPROFILE% - is the structure profile path to your user profile, Windows (not to be confused with the profile of Firefox). Usually located in the folder C:\Documents and Settings\username.

% AppData% - path to the subfolder of the user profile Windows, which contains the application data. Usually located in the folder%USERPROFILE%\Application Data\. Firefox profiles are stored inside the folder% AppData%\mozillafirefox\.

Simply copy the folder% AppData%\Mozilla\Firefox from one computer to another. If the target computer, the folder already exists (and you do not care its contents - the existing profiles on the machine), clean it before copying.

To transfer Firefox settings from one to another computer :

1. Copy the folder Mozilla at its old location (for example, if the original machine it was the folder C:\Documents and Settings\Name\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox, copy it exactly there).
    2. Delete the folder% AppData%\Mozilla\Firefox on a new computer, if it exists.
    3. Create a symbolic link (reparse point) to the folder copied in Clause 1 of the folder, deleted in paragraph 2 (on Windows this is done using the NTFS Links utility, or Junction).

If you are unable to create new profile

1. Copy the profile over an existing one (it preliminarily cleaning the folder) and any program a batch search and replace strings (Advanced Find & Replace, EmEditor, etc.), replace the absolute path of the old profile to the new.
    2. This method is not the most correct of all possible, so that 100% identity of the transferred profile is not guaranteed, unlike methods 1 and 2. But this is the only possible way to transfer profile between Windows and Linux.

Download and install MozBackup, MozBackup (Mozilla Backup) - a utility to backup your profile programs such as: MozSuite / SeaMonkey, Mozilla Firefox, Mozilla Thunderbird, Netscape, Flock, Sunbird, Spicebird, PostBox and Wyzo. It will help you save e-mail, bookmarks, address books, passwords, etc. Works under Windows 98 and above. The program is absolutely free. Just install, choose the software (detected automatically) you want to retrieve the data, choose your profile if several are installed, and finally the items you want to save: cache, history, inbox. .. You can also protect the backup file password or encrypt. The restoration can be performed as easily.

Try FEBE, it allows you to quickly and easily create backup copies of your supplements and other information Firefox. Also, it can be used to synchronize such as work and home browsers. FEBE preserves (your choice) your add-ons, bookmarks, settings, passwords, cookies. also possible to save your profile in general. The fifth version of FEBE support copying those files that you choose, not just those who are pre-configured. This can help for example to copy the scripts Greaseamonkey, filters AdBlock Plus and others.