Thread: Thunderbird prefs.js corrupt

Thunderbird prefs.js corrupt

Hi,

I have a thunderbird installed on windows 7 64-bit pc. My problem is that while sending an email system freezes. After restarting Thunderbird asks if I would like to create an account. After searching on net, I discovered that my problem seems to be a corrupt prefs.js file. Is there any way to retrieve my e-mail and / or accounts? Is it possible to repair the Thunderbird prefs.js corrupt?

Re: Thunderbird prefs.js corrupt

If it seems that Thunderbird is still using the old profile, but all the account settings were lost, which may corrupt the file prefs.js. Usually prefs.js contains many lines of text that define the account settings, such as email addresses, a server for incoming and outgoing messages, etc. If you open prefs.js in a text editor such as Notepad, and will not find any of them (example), we can assume that the prefs.js file is badly damaged and must be replaced or restored.

You must first decide whether the start up Thunderbird with a clean profile or corrupt prefs.js. When you start Thunderbird available to all accounts, but there are personal address book (imposed by the pre-contact) or previously installed themes or extensions, it indicates that Thunderbird is still using the old profile instead of creating a new and clean. If absolutely nothing from your account profile, address book, order history, extensions, etc. does not appear at startup, that Thunderbird is likely to create and run a clean, completely empty profile.

To restore prefs.js corrupt file, exit thunderbird, go to the profile folder, make a temporary backup copy of prefs.js, and then replace the prefs.js in your profile folder a copy of prefs.js last backup of your profile that you've done. If you did the last backup using the utility MozBackup, you can get a reserved prefs.js simply unpack the backup file ". Pcv" as described here (see "Problems recovery MozBackup?"). If you have no backups "prefs.js", but the profile folder contains the file "prefs.bak", you can try to rename "prefs.bak" in the "prefs.js".

If the profile exists and it seems intact, but not "is" manager profiles and editing "profiles.ini" as mentioned above did not work, exit Thunderbird and run the Profile Manager. Create a new profile and move everything from the old profile folder to a new one using Moving your profile folder. Second method. (Note: if the problem is a corrupted file prefs.js, transferring data to a new profile so does not help, because it eliminates the damage to the file prefs.js.)

If you're still not able to get the old profile to work, then you can restore the mail, address books, etc., creating a new profile in the Profile Manager, manually configuring all of the accounts just as they were configured before, and then copying the e-mail, address books, configure filters and other mail-related files from the old to the new profile combing the two profiles.