Thread: The requested operation could not be completed due to a file system limitation

The requested operation could not be completed due to a file system limitation

Hi,

I'm getting this error message, The requested operation could not be completed due to a file system limitation, while downloading large files(5-6 GB). I use utorrent for downloading movies. I have window vista and 80 GB free space on my notebook. I get the same error when I try to copy the file to another folder. Can you enumerate the file system limitations?

Re: The requested operation could not be completed due to a file system limitation

Try Ccleaner, you disk spave must be fulled. Software of cleaning and maintenance of the system, CCleaner is today one of the best in its class, makes a pretty quick scan yet comprehensive to enable the discovery of many types of data that are not needed (temporary files, records, facilities badly, cookies, traces of the Explorer, history ... ... ..) and then try defragmentation.

Re: The requested operation could not be completed due to a file system limitation

The compressed files are more likely to reach the limit because of the way files are stored on disk. Compressed files require further extensions to describe their design. Furthermore, decompress and compress a file fragmentation increases significantly. This size limit is usually between 40 gigabytes (GB) and 80 GB for a very fragmented file.

When a file is highly fragmented, NTFS uses more space to store the description of the assignments associated with the fragments. The information is stored in the allocation of one or more file records. When the mapping information is stored in archival records, other structure, known as the ATTRIBUTE_LIST, stores information about archival records. The number of structures ATTRIBUTE_LIST_ENTRY that the file can have is limited. We can not give an exact file size limit of a compressed file or a highly fragmented

I had the same problem copying the data from the directory of uTorrent, the Windows error message, The requested operation could not be completed due to a file system limitation. But it omits that by using "File Splitter, which splits files into smaller parts and then copying the folder. I joined them again and ready, its been working until now, its worth the effort and we doesn't have to wait for long time doesn't, certainly not enough to download the entire file again!