Thread: Jaws support on firefox

Jaws support on firefox

I need some information on working of jaws on a Firefox browser. JAWS is working slightly differently with web pages Firefox than with IE. Which version of JAWS should I use. I am not aware for the same. The second thing I want to know is why doesn't the JAWS Find command work in JAWS 7.x or JAWS 8.x. How do I copy HTML to the clipboard.

Re: Jaws support on firefox

JAWS 7.x, 8.x and 9.x all work with Firefox. Conversely, JAWS 10 has the most polished support. JAWS 10 has added numerous enhancements to Firefox and Thunderbird support. This comprises superior support for editing and enhancements to the virtual buffer support for web pages, making it virtually equal to what is provided for IE. As an example, JAWS 9 tended to combine lines of text together in the virtual buffer, but only in Firefox, but in JAWS 10, these kinds of troublesome differences with IE support have vanished.

JAWS 8.0 has a recognized problem that the JAWS find command or Speak Address Bar commands do not work as predictable. The reason is that Firefox 3 uses a dissimilar executable name than Firefox 2 did, for which JAWS 8.0 was initially configured. To get things working, edit the file Confignames.ini, which is situated in your Shared Settings folder. To open this folder, go to Start Menu, Programs, JAWS 8.0, Explore JAWS, Explore Shared Settings.

Before you are pressing the enter see the following note on the Vista. You have to press the submissions key and select the run as the administrator. You can edit the file by using the Notepad. Then you save the file. And for the next time when you are using the Firefox you will get the shortcuts. The following changes you must make in the shared file. An override in your user specific path will not work.

JAWS 9.0 presents a characteristic in Internet Explorer to copy not the fundamental buffer text of a page, but the real HTML content, as if you had selected the text using the mouse on the screen. Regrettably, Freedom Scientific has not yet put into practice this characteristic for Firefox. If you need to copy text from a web page counting formatting, there is a workaround you can use that is a amalgamation of JAWS functions and Firefox's Caret Browsing characteristic.