Thread: How to get the original location of an email

How to get the original location of an email

Hi, i am using Gmail as my default mail client. Now just for an information i wanted to know is it possible to find the location of the sender. From last couple of days i am getting some suspicious emails and wanna find out the exact location of email. So i request you guys to please let me know how can i get the original location of an email by an IP address ? Thanks in advance.

Re: How to get the original location of an email

Well, you can easily locate the location of the email with help of its Ip address. To do this for your Gmail account, just go through these steps:- Open your Gmail account and open the email in question. Click on the down arrow next to the right of the Reply link and select show Original from the list. Here you should look for lines of text which begin Received: from ".

You'll notice that there are several receipts in the header of the message. Because in the message header contains the IP addresses of all servers involved in routing the email to you. To find the first computer that originally sent the email, you must have received the most farthest is DOWN.

Once you have Originating IP address let's find out where that is from.You can do this by perform a location lookup on the IP address. Some useful sites for this are IP2Location and GeoBytes IP Locator. Once you will enter the IP address to these sites, you will get the required information about the same. If you want more information, you can do a WHOIS database search also.

hey guys, thanks for sharing this useful tip. Its really helpful and i was also in search of this from a long time. Could you guys please let me know how to find the required IP address from Microsoft Outlook ? Thanks in advance.

Here is the solution for the same. Open the email in Outlook by double-clicking on it. Go to View at the top menu (the menu options for the email, not the main Outlook window) and choose Options. This will open the dialog box where you can get the Internet Headers box and you can set the message options as well.

Quote Originally Posted by trio View Post
    Once you have Originating IP address let's find out where that is from.You can do this by perform a location lookup on the IP address. Some useful sites for this are IP2Location and GeoBytes IP Locator. Once you will enter the IP address to these sites, you will get the required information about the same. If you want more information, you can do a WHOIS database search also.
    I have an email sent from an unknown gmail (or a yahoo id). when i do the above mentioned steps, i am directed to the service provider of t he sender. i.e.: the last mentioned IP address in the headers is that of the ISP of the person who is using the internet, and that too, the person is based in a LAN. So his / her IP address would be a 10. / 192. / etc series.

How does one go about in such cases?

Looking for a useful reply

cheers