Thread: Slow Internet Connection on Macbook Pro

Slow Internet Connection on Macbook Pro

I have a Macbook pro which is running on 2.16ghz Intel processor. The Macbook is installed with Mac OS X Snow Leopard on it. I have a broadband connection which is provided by a Wireless router. I connect the Macbook to the router using Wifi. The problem which I am facing with the Macbook is that the internet on the Macbook is really slow. I am using Safari as the default browser and whenever I try to access any website the browser gives connection time out error. So if anybody is facing the Slow Internet connection on Macbook Pro then please share some information so that I am able to solve the problem. Is this problem because of the browser? Or Is my macbook faulty? Please help.

Re: Slow Internet Connection on Macbook Pro

First check the configuration of the network to which you are trying to connect the Macbook. If the configuration of the network is not done properly then the Internet wont work on the Macbook properly. Open the Network preferences of all the devices which are connected to the network and then check if all the settings are configured properly or not. If any changes are to be done, do the changes and then save the configuration. Once the configuration is saved, restart all the devices which are connected and then see if the Internet connection is still slow or not.

It can be because of the browser which you are using. There are many browser which you can use on Mac systems for browsing internet. Try using some other browser to surf the Internet and see if it still gives the same error. You can use different browser such as Mozilla firefox or Google Chrome to browse and see if they give the same error. If different browsers dont give the same error, then there is some problem with Safari. Check the preferences of the browser and make changes if needed. If changing the preferences does not help, then try reinstalling the browser.

Mac operating systems only support WAP encryption now hence if the Network is using WEP encryption then the device would connect to the network but would not able to use all the resources. Hence check the encryption of the network and change it to WEP if it is configured to WAP. To change the encryption, you will have to login to the router. To login to the router first type the Default IP address in the address bar of the browser and hit enter. The system will prompt for username and password. Enter the correct info and then change the configuration. Once changes are done save the configuration and then reboot the router.

Contact your Service provider and get the link checked. Many times it happens that the link which is providing the bandwidth is not working properly and hence the device on which Internet is accessed gets disconnected or gets Connection Timed out error. Hence I would suggest you to check the link. You can check the link yourself by visiting websites like Speedtest and Pingtest. This website provide online tests which are run on the link and then gives the result regarding the Ping and the latency.