Thread: HTTP Error 406

HTTP Error 406

Hello, I am using Internet Explorer for opening different web pages on my computer, but some of the time in my Windows xp it gives me HTTP Error 406 on browser. Can anyone tell me why did I am getting this error. This type of error I get mostly when I am trying to download the books or something. Is anyone is having solution for this problem?

Re: HTTP Error 406

If you are getting this HTTP Error 406 then it is possible that your Internet Explorer is accepting the data which is not supported by it which is provided by the Web server. So, just make sure that while downloading the files your browser will not open all of them. Then you can able to get the solution for your error. After downloading files open that files with appropriate application.

It may possible that your Internet Explorer is giving you this problem. So, you just need to do change the browser and then try. You can simply make use of the Mozilla Firefox and solve your problem. I don't think that Mozilla Firefox will provide you any problem. I think currently Mozilla Firefox 3.5.7 is available and by downloading it from Mozilla site you can simply solve your problem.

HTTP error message : Internet Explorer cannot read this webpage format (HTTP 406)

Reason:
    Internet Explorer is able to receive information from the website but it is in a format that Internet Explorer does not know how to display.

Solution:
    If you are requesting a document, check to see if you are including the file extension, such as .pdf or .doc.

If you want to get the solution for this problem then it is necessary to make some of the changes in your .htaccess file, which will disable the mod security. But you can able to open that particular page:
    Code:
    <IfModule mod_security.c>
    SecFilterEngine Off
    SecFilterScanPOST Off
    </IfModule>

The problem you are getting is due to the Web browser. This type of error will occur only if the web server is providing the content which are not accepted by the web browser. So, you can simply check for the changing your web browser and then try whether your are getting same problem or not. I think by changing the web browser you can able to solve your problem.