Thread: Can only Visit selected Websites

Can only Visit selected Websites

Hello friends, I am facing very unusual problem on my computer. Whenever i connect to Internet, I Can only visit selected websites. I am using a broadband connection from a local cablenet provider which is provided through a Linksys Router and I am using Mozilla Firefox to browse the internet. No websites other than selected sites open. All sites except the selected sites return a Connection time out page. I tried rebooting the system and checking if all the sites would open but it did not work. The operating system I am using is Windows XP service pack 3. Can this be because of the faulty router? If anybody can suggest a proper solution to this problem, i would be really very thankful.

Re: Can only Visit selected Websites

I would suggest you to check the network configuration of your computer. Probably the improper configuration is not allowing you to connect to all the websites. Get the proper settings from your Internet Service provider and configure your computer according to it. After configuring the computer properly, restart it once. Now connect to the internet using the dialer provided by the ISP and check if you are able to visit all the websites or not. If you are facing the same problem after configuring then contact your ISP for further troubleshooting.

Have tried using another browser to browse the Internet? If not then check if you are able to visit all the websites from other browser. It is possible that the browser you are using has got corrupt and is creating the problems in browsing. Uninstall firefox and remove all the files which are related to it. Restart the computer and then install firefox again and see if the problem continues. Also try and update the version of firefox you are using. After updating check if the problem continues. You can also try using browsers like Google chrome or Safari and see if you are able to visit all the websites
    I'm the Proud Owner of the most dangerous weapon
    known to man kind: Human Brain

You will have to reinstall the operating system again as the operating system has got corrupt. Some system files which are used by the network applications have got corrupt. You can either find and replace them manually which can be very painful process or you can simply reinstall the Windows again. To reinstall Windows again you will be needing a Windows XP install disk. Insert the disk in the drive and restart the computer. While the computer is booting, press del to enter the BIOS setup and change the 1st boot device as CD rom and 2nd boot device as HDD. Now save and exit the setup and press any key to boot from CD. Now follow onscreen procedure to complete the installation. Before reinstalling windows remember to take the back up of the data.

Log in to the router and check if it is filtering the incoming data. There is possibility that the router is filtering the Incoming data and hence you are not able to access all the websites. There is a provision in routers known as access list which can be defined on any of the port of the router to filter the incoming or outgoing traffic. Therefore login to the router and check if any access list is active on any of the ports of the router. If any access list is active then disable it by editing the configuration. If the configuration is edited save it and reboot the router and then check if all the websites are available or not. There is factory reset button on the router, locate and then press the button to restore the router to factory settings.

Contact your Internet service provider and ask for the MTU size of the link. I was also facing the same problem with my Internet connection. Only few websites would open. I contacted the ISP and asked them for the MTU size and configured my Router according to the MTU size of the Link. This helped me in solving the problem. Mismatch in the MTU size can create such problems because the MTU size should match both at the sender and receiver end. If it does not match then data is lost while communication which creates problems like you are facing. Adjusting the MTU size will definitely solve the problem.