Thread: Firewire is faster than the USB 2.0 or not

Firewire is faster than the USB 2.0 or not

I am having the Panasonic camcorder and this Camcorder has the Firewire port for transferring the videos from this camcorder to the computers and the laptops. I am having the laptop which has the Firewire IEEE 1394 interface for the connection. I want to know that which is faster - Firewire or the USB2.0. And according to that i will make the decision whether to buy the Firewire Cable or to buy the Firewire to USB conversion Cable for the Video transfer from the Camcorder to the Laptop.

Re: Firewire is faster than the USB 2.0 or not

You are having the Panasonic Camcorder which has the Firewire IEEE 1394 Port for transferring the video from the camcorder to the computer system or the laptop. Your laptop is also having the IEEE 1394 Port. So i think you should buy the firewire cable only because i think the Firewire to USB cable may create some problem in the Video transfer. This will do the data transfer faster. May be some issues come related with the USB cable for this Camcorder.

The IEEE 1394 also known as the Firewire is the name for a set of standards. The Firewire standards specifies the serial bus which is also used for the transferring the information and the data. The another name for this IEEE 1394 standard includes the Firewire. This standard is mostly used for the connecting to the computer with the external device,which includes the hard drive and the digital camcorder. It also has uses to transfer data in cars and airplanes. It is very similar to USB.

If you will think by the usage point of view then i think you should go for the USB 2.0, Because this is faster than the Firewire and the easily available in the market. The firewire cable is implemented in the robust fashion. And this is less overhead and has the very higher continous thorough put. But i will will take the overall performance then the Firewire is faster than the USB2.0. But the USB 2.0 cheaper than the Firewire.

I will go for theFirewire from these two technologies. But the difference is totally depends on the computing power of your computer or the laptop system. The firewire uses the DMA technology and this imposes the very Small processing overheads. This delivers the same transfer speed on all the computer systems. But the USB delivers the transfer speed according to the speed of the processor and the RAM memory of the computer system.
    Last edited by Trio; 09-01-2010 at 02:57 PM.