Thread: Network slowsdown When Windows 7 PC connected

Network slowsdown When Windows 7 PC connected

Hi, I have 3 computers connected to the same router to access Internet. All the computers were running on Windows XP SP2. Recently I installed Windows 7 ultimate 64bit on one of my PC. The problem is that whenever I connect the Windows PC to the router, the entire network slowsdown. . Out of the three computers, 2 computers are connected using wires and 1 is connected using wireless. The network works fine if this machine running on Windows 7 is not connected. Also the PC with Windows 7 is a dual boot machine with Windows Xp installed on it. Can this be because of keeping the machine in dual boot? Kindly suggest some solutions.

Re: Network slowsdown When Windows 7 PC connected

It is possible that the PC which is running on Windows 7 must be downloading some data which is slowing down the entire network. As you have installed the Windows 7 recently, it must be trying to get the updates from the Internet. Check the status Automatic Windows Update. If the Automatic update is on then disable it and then check the performance of the network. Also while connecting to the network, check the background processes running on the Windows 7 pc which may try to access the Internet and terminate them.

As the computer is made dual boot with windows xp, therefore try connecting the same PC by booting into Windows Xp. Check if the network slows down if the same PC with windows xp is connected to the network. If the performance of the network does not degrade, then there is something wrong with the installation of Windows 7 and needs to be rectified. If the network slows down when the computer with Windows xp is connected then there is definitely some problem with the hardware and needs to replaced.

Have you installed correct drivers of Network adapter for Windows 7 64bit? Many devices do not work properly if the correct drivers are not installed. The drivers should match the operating system as well as the model of the Network adapter being used. The only problem with Windows 7 64 bit is that the drivers for all the devices are not available. Search online for the drivers for the model of the network adapter and which is suitable for a 64 bit operating system. Installing the correct drivers will solve the problem.

I was also facing the same problem with my network when i upgraded the operating system from Windows Xp to Windows 7. The problem is that Windows 7 causes significant network traffic which overloads the network. Once the network is overloaded the performance of the network suffers. To solve this problem install LLTD on all the Windows XP machines. Also by going into task manager, terminate all the unwanted processes which are using network resources. You can get the list of all the processes which use the network resources and which are not needed. By referring this list you can select and terminate the unwanted process. Hope this post helps.

Check the Network interface card and see if it is faulty. Sometimes it happens that the network card is faulty and sends unnecessary traffic on the network which causes congestion. To check the NIC, ping it on its self loop back address. Type "Ping 127.0.0.1" in run tab. This command will show if the NIC is working properly or not. If there is no error in sending and receiving packets then the NIC is working properly, otherwise replacing the NIC will do the trick. Also check the Network configuration of the computer which is running on Windows 7 as it may also hamper the network performance.