Thread: Error 104: The attempt to connect to the server failed.

Error 104: The attempt to connect to the server failed.

I have desktop computer at home with configuration: 2 x GTX 260/216, e8500, P5Q Pro, 4GB DDR2-800, Dell 2709W, Windows XP. I use internet on daily basis,recently came through the 'error 104':The attempt to connect to the server failed. I was using Internet Explorer first,but now installed of chrome and Firefox. Both Firefox and chrome is not connecting to internet, but IE will connect. I done many tricks to solve this, but not getting correct solution. Please help me out to fix this problem.

Re: Error 104: The attempt to connect to the server failed.

One of my friend also had same problem and he told that the error/problem is caused when some chrome settings get hurt/changed, and chrome itself gets stop working(i.e. browsing is disabled), and this make affects to all the other browsers - except Internet Explorer. But, my friend tried an Ubuntu run with Firefox, and worked very fine. But i think the solution for this error is to re-install the operating system. I know its shocking to hear, but no options think so.

Think so this error is coming to some incorrect firewalls settings. The windows firewall or other virus protection software or application will be having the settings which does not allows any other browsers accept Internet Explorer to use internet.The antivirus or a firewall application is blocking access to port 80 (the port used by web servers to send you pages) by Google Chrome or Firefox. So, i would suggest you to turn off the firewalls or any firewalls application there on your machine and check weather same error is coming back or not. Think so it error will not come back.
    I'm the Proud Owner of the most dangerous weapon
    known to man kind: Human Brain

This error(i.e Error 104: The attempt to connect to the server failed.) has been face by many users think so. I got solution for this problem/error. By including a rule(in Vista firewall), Vista typically uses variables in its file path, such that the following being Chrome's rule path:
    %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
    But when I changed the file path to be more 'direct' like:
    C:\Users\MYUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
    It worked. Note that this is Vista settings i have done, maybe this may not work in XP firewalls settings. But you can try your luck. Hope so you will able to fix the problem.

I am also having the same error. I am fed up with this error problem. I am having problem of unable to access/goto any sites, but this may be an Internet Service Provider problem. Please any help on that would be useful . The FF3 looks nice but it does not work. Can anybody tell me step-by-step explain and provide resolve to this issue? I am pissed off using Internet Explorer again.

I was also going through same error problem unless one of friend told me below steps to fix the error:
    ->Go to your "Control Panel"
    ->Click on Add/Remove Programs, and open it.
    ->Select Chrome and FireFox and Uninstall both of them.
    ->Now, come back to the Control Panel and then find "Windows Firewall" option and open it.
    ->Select 'Off' option under the General Tab, and click 'Ok.'
    ->Restart your computer.
    ->Now again install chrome and firefox, and check weather you are able to open websites or not.
    Hope this will make your computer error free.

The issue you are experience is being caused by an issue within Windows Firewall, to resolve this edit your windows firewall and create a new rule to allow outbound TCP traffic on port 80