Thread: Disconnection Problems with Netgear Router

Disconnection Problems with Netgear Router

Hi, I used to have 512kbps broadband connection which i used to access from a Netgear DG834 router. Recently I upgraded my connection to 8mbps and I am still using the same router. After upgradation of the broadband plan, the router gets disconnected after sometime. I have two desktops and a laptop connected to the router. The router works fine for some time with one PC connected but as soon as the second PC is started, it starts getting disconnected every now and then. What could be the possible reason behind such a behavior? Please help.

Re: Disconnection Problems with Netgear Router

I dont think there is any problem with the router as you were using it before. Probably the link which is providing bandwidth to you is flappy. Flappy links cause problems just as you have mentioned. There is connectivity for a short while and then there is no connectivity. I would suggest you to check the link if it is providing connectivity continuously. If there is problem in the link then you will have to ask your service provider to change the link which is causing disconnection.

As the disconnection occurs when you try to access internet from more pc, it can be because of IP duplication on the network. If there are two devices with same IP address on a network, then the network does not communicated with any of the devices and disconnects them. Check if all the computer on the network have different IP addresses. If any of the computers are having same IP address then change the IP address with an address on same subnet. After changing the duplicated ip addresses on the network there wont be any disconnections again.

Have changed the Link speed settings on all the computers after upgradation of your broadband? Link speed settings are important in adjusting the rate of flow of data from and to the computer. Link speed on the computer should match with the link speed of the Line providing bandwidth. If there is link speed mismatch then the connection gets disconnected frequently. To check the Link speed settings. Right click on the Local Area Network and Select properties. Now go to Advanced tab and locate the Link speed tab. If you know the link speed then select the options from the drop down list. If you dont know the link speed then select "Auto negotiate" and then save and exit the settings. Now the LAN will get disabled and then it will connected back with Link speed of the Line. After setting the correct link speed, the connection will not get disconnected.

After upgrading the broadband plan, the router has to be configured again to as to make it work for an upgraded speed. You were using 512 kbps connection before which is too less than what you are using now. The configuration of the router for 512 kbps will certainly not work for an 8mbps line. The data rate and the link speed has to be configured again on the router so that it can successfully communicate with all the devices on the network. Log in to the router and change the required fields in the configuration. Ask the service provider to help you out while configuring the router. After the configuration is over, restart the router and see if the disconnection continues.

Restore the router to factory settings and check if the disconnection problem continues. Every router has an external button to restore the configuration to default factory settings. Locate this button and press it. Once the router is restored to factory settings, reconfigure the router to work on the 8 mbps line with the help from ISP. Check if the disconnection continues after restoring the router. if the disconnection continues then check the IP addresses of all the computers. If the IP addresses are static then all computers should have unique ip address in the same subnet. If the IP addresses are allocated dynamically using DHCP then disable LAN and enable it again after sometime. This will help the computer to get new IP address from the DHCP servers. This should solve the problem. If it still continues then contact your network admin to provide you with the support.