Thread: Cannot access internet due to IP address conflict with some other computer on network

Cannot access internet due to IP address conflict with some other computer on network

Hi, I have a small network configured at my home which includes a Linksys router, 4 computers and a cable modem. All the four computers are connected to the router which in turn is connected to the cable modem. From few days i am not able to access internet from my computer. I get a pop-up saying "Windows-System error-- There is an IP address conflict with another system on the network" whenever i turn on the computer. I am able to access internet from rest of the computers but not from my pc. What could be the possible problem? Pleas Help

Re: Cannot access internet due to IP address conflict with some other computer on network

Check the network configuration first. Open the network connections tab and check the Local area network setting. It must have got changed as the problem started from few days. Check if all the entries in the TCP/IP properties are proper and as you had entered before. Check the address of default gateway address, it should correspond to the ip address of the port of the router to which the computer is connected. Enter the preferred DNS and DNS server's address as provided by the Internet service provider. Once the configuration is set as it was the error message will not appear.

Re: Cannot access internet due to IP address conflict with some other computer on network

Your home network needs to restarted fully. First power down all the computers, cable modem and the router. Now start the devices in the following order :- Power up the cable modem and wait for the LED's to stabilize--Once all the LED's have stabilized, Power on the Router and again wait for the LED's to stabilize. Now Power on the PC which was giving the IP conflict error. Once it is connected to network, power on rest of the PC's one by one.

IP address conflict message only comes when there is exists a same IP address on the network. It mostly happens when the system acquires the IP dynamically from DHCP servers. Check if your network is configured to acquire the IP dynamically. If yes then contact your service provider so that they can give you some static IP which will not conflict on the network. Meanwhile check if any of the PC's on your network dont have the same IP's.

Click on start menu and select my network places. Now select View network connection. Now right click on the Local Area Network and go to properties. Highlight TCP/IP utilities and Select properties. Now Select "Use the following IP address" and enter "192.168.1.3" on one of the computers (increase the last digit by one while entering ip address on different computers). Now Subnet mask will be automatically added. Put default gateway as the IP address of the router on all the computers. Preferred DNS will be provided by the ISP. Once this configuration are entered, save and apply them. Now you will not get the error again.

If the network is configured to get the ip from a DHCP servers then problem will be faced regularly. Whenever the system gives an IP address conflict error, Disable the LAN and then enable it after few seconds. Disabling LAN flushes out the IP address entry from the Network table of the NIC hence the IP which was conflicting will be removed from the network card. The flushing of IP takes about 30 seconds hence the LAN should be enabled only after a minute so that the Old IP is flushed and DHCP assigns us new IP. If the LAN is enableb immediately after disabling then the same IP will be assigned to the system which will again create problem. Hope this post helps.