Thread: Unable to use Firefox and Internet Explorer after Virus attack

Unable to use Firefox and Internet Explorer after Virus attack

Hello everyone, Just like everybody who uses internet I also got some malicious programs (viruses) downloaded on my computer through some junk emails. After using combination of msconfig and AVG i was able to remove the viruses but now my browsers are not working properly. Mozilla firefox and Internet explorer are not functioning properly same as they did before. Some websites or some elements of the website are not loaded properly. I tried to uninstall these browsers but the system is not allowing me to uninstall them. Any idea's about how to solve this issue is more than welcome.

Re: Unable to use Firefox and Internet Explorer after Virus attack

Open Firefox and Internet explorer in safe mode and then check if they are working properly. Virus must have affected the add-ons and 3rd party applications which are embedded with the browsers. Opening the browser in safe mode will let you know if the problem is due to corrupted 3rd party applications or the browser itself is corrupt. To open the browser in safe mode, click on start menu and then type "firefox-safe-mode". In safe mode only the basic requirements of browser are loaded which helps in diagnosing the problem.

To remove the applications completely, boot the system in safe mode. Once the system is booted in safe mode, go to control panel-- add remove programs--select internet explorer/ mozilla firefox from the list and then click on remove. The applications will get completely removed from your computer. Before installing them again delete the folders in which the browsers were installed as the files may affect the new installation again. Clear the registry from the entries of firefox and internet explorer and restart the computer. Try to reinstall the browsers only after editing the windows registry.

Many time viruses changes the preferences and the settings of the browser as well as the setting of the system. It seems that the virus has definately altered some settings on your browser or the TCP/Ip settings. Check the settings of the browser by going in Preferences also check if the java support is enabled or not. Then check the TCP/IP settings by right clicking on the LAN icon and then selecting properties. Now highlight TCP/IP and click on properties. Inside properties check the following :-
    1) Preferred DNS.
    2)Check if the DHCP is in auto mode or if it is static then check if it is proper.
    If there are any changes then revert them back and save them. Hopefully your browsers will work fine after that.
    I'm the Proud Owner of the most dangerous weapon
    known to man kind: Human Brain

I was facing the same problems with my internet explorer after a virus attack. It seems like it changes the preferences of internet explorer while parting. Do as listed below and see if it works for you. Go to the following location Program Files--Internet Explorer--Connection Wizard--And open the following file "inetwiz.exe". It will ask for how to connect, Click on LAN if you are on a Local Area Network. Now select Auto discovery of DHCP and uncheck Manual proxy server. Now skip the email step and follow the rest of the procedure. After completing this wizard , i was able to work with IE as before, hope it works for you too.

Updating Internet explore and Mozilla firefox should solve the problem. Due to virus infection some files of both the browsers must have got infected due to which the problem is arising. Update the browsers with the latest version available online and install it. After installation disable all the addons and check the performance of the browser.