Thread: Need help in cloning MAC address

Need help in cloning MAC address

Hello there, I know that lot of service provider authenticate there services using MAC address. I know that MAC address is unique for every device and cannot be changed. But i recently heard that there is a way in which the MAC address of the system can be changed. I only know that it is called as Cloning but i dont know the exact procedure. Can anyone please explain me how the procedure works. Does the procedure changes from operating system to operating system or is it same for all the operating systems?
    I use Windows Xp, so i would like to know how to clone mac address in Windows XP.

Re: Need help in cloning MAC address

No there is no way you can change the Mac address of a Device. Mac address is hard coded on the device by the company. It is also known as Burn In address as it is attached permanently to the device. Every manufacturer has there unique code which is reflected in the MAC address of the device manufactured by it. Therefore there is no way to change the MAC address of the device at it may lead to problems in identifying who the manufacturer was.

You cannot change the MAC address of the device physically, but there are ways in which it can be cloned. As many service providers track the mac address along with the ip addresses of the subscriber it is found that there is no internet access if the router or modem is changed. Follow these steps to clone the MAC address of router/modem if any among the two are replaced.
    1) Power down all the devices. (i.e Router, modem, PC)
    2) Now power up in the following sequence Modem, then Router and then PC
    Note that when modem or router are switched on, time should be given to the LED's to settle down before starting the next device.

MAC address is very important for communication on TCP/IP protocols also in ethernet technology the communication happens due to Mac address Therefore trying to change the Mac address can hamper the communication completely hence it should be avoided.

There are some software's which can help in cloning mac address. Cloning mac address does not mean that the original mac address is replaced by new one. Cloning only makes it possible for a device to advertise new mac address instead of its own mac address. Therefore cloning is on software level and not hardware level. Mac address of any device cant be changed as it is hot fixed on a device.

It is a very easy procedure to clone MAC address in windows XP. When you replace your NIC follow these step to clone mac address of old nic with the new NIC.
    1) GO to Network Connections
    2) Right click on LAN (Local Area Network)
    3) Select Properties
    4) Now Click on Configure Button.
    5) Select Network Address and Enter the MAC address of the old NIC
    Now save and exit. The LAN will be disabled temporarily and will be enabled after that. That's it you have successfully cloned the mac address.