Thread: Empathy giving issues while using yahoo,please help!!

Empathy giving issues while using yahoo,please help!!

Hey guys i am running Ubuntu 9.04 on my laptop and have Empathy which i installed from the universal repository. My issue is that i can't seem to be able to get yahoo to work for me through empathy. I suspected that the default port 5050 could be the issue but i do not have much knowledge to diagnose the exact problem or try and fix this bug. I know my user name and password is correct because i can seem to get it to work on the web. I always get the network error whenever i try to connect to my yahoo through empathy. Please help me

Re: Empathy giving issues while using yahoo,please help!!

I had this similar issue before and i have found a temporary workaround which you can use, mind you i am not saying this is a permanent solution but something to work with while this bug is being fixed by the developers.
    Go to the accounts option in editing and in the server box add cn. at the start.For example if it says :
    scs.msg.yahoo.com

then change it too

cn.scs.msg.yahoo.com
    Hope this fixes your issue and don't forget to disable and re-enable your account for the changes to take effect.
    Last edited by Jackson2; 18-12-2009 at 06:58 PM.

Change the port that is being used by default for yahoo instant messenger that it connect to. I think by default the port number is 5050 so change it to port number 5160 or 5192 or whatever you wish for. If you keep getting issues with the new port make sure it configured properly in iptables. That is,make sure the port is open. You can do this manually but i suggest you install some kind of a front end application just because manually configuring rules in iptables can be quite confusing. I suggest to go ahead and install a front end application like Firestarter or gufw,i personally use gufw and it works to my satisfaction.

I faced this problem while using pidgin to connect to my yahoo accounts. But this problem went away the next day. I could use both my accounts fine without any issues the next day.I suggest you should try using Pidgin instead of Empathy for a while and see if that makes any difference. By default your firewall in Ubuntu is configured to allow all client applications while server applications are restricted from the start itself. You will need to install a front end application like gufw to manipulate and make changes in the iptables and i advice you not to do it otherwise.

It seems to be working fine on Pidgin on the default port. You might not have configured iptables to open the port for yahoo which is usually 5050 for incoming and outgoing connections on Empathy. I suggest giving Pidgin a try till that time since it seems to be an empathy/yahoo application error. See if you have the newest version of Empathy on your computer with some third party tweak for Ubuntu. It is possibly your router has a firewall which is blocking that particular port leading to this issue or maybe the same case with a modem you might be having.

Well i read somewhere about a possible solution and i suggest you to give it a try as well. Try killall telepathy-butterfly in the terminal. that worked fine for me when i was having issues with msn,msn started working after it. Thought this is not foolproof in the sense it won't always work so i suggest you to either change chat clients or shift to Pidgin if it is necessary you stick to yahoo. You could also give the .cn suggestion a try as mentioned above but in my case it didn't yield any results. Possibly this is yahoo and all the big shots trying to stifle the third party chat clients trying to use their protocols on Linux distributions.
    I'm the Proud Owner of the most dangerous weapon
    known to man kind: Human Brain