Thread: Honeypots

Honeypots

Hello, can anyone give me details about the honeypots. I want to know the details about it. If anyone is having details about it, then give me that or please if possible explain this in your words if possible. I am waiting for the reply which will give me more details about it. Is it any firewall which help us to give security while surfing on internet. Please give me details about it.

Re: Honeypots

Hi, Honeypots are the attacks which are mostly launched by servers that target vulnerable clients. These are the Web based client-side attacks where web server attacks web browser. So, you can say that it targets a specific vulnerability of the browser, plug-in or the operating system. In computer terminology, It is the facility which will set out to detect, deflect or in some cases it may take some preventive actions. Many times it contains computer system, information or a network site which seems to be the part of a network, but is actually isolated or unprotected.

Basically, A honeypot is an information system in the form of resource whose value lies in unauthorized or illicit use of that resource. If you create the classification of them then it may be classified on their deployment and based on their level of involvement. Based on the deployment, honeypots may be classified as
    1. Production Honeypots
    2. Research Honeypots

Production honeypots : These are easy to use. They find out only limited information and are majorly used by companies or corporations. To improve the state of security you can place them into the production network with other production servers by organization. They are easier to deploy. They give less information about the attacks or attackers than research honeypots.

Research honeypots : They are run by a volunteer, non-profit research organization or an educational institution to gather information about anything which is regarding either to entertainment or some other not malicious information. These honeypots are used to research the threats organizations structure and then to learn how to better protect against those threats. So that by using this data you can protect against those threats. These are having more complexity to deploy and maintain and that is why mostly used by research, military, or government organizations.

Hi, I am not having any information regarding the honeypots but I have some advantages and disadvantages regarding this.
    • Advantages:
    1. Honeypots are a tremendously simply concept.
    2. Small data sets of high value
    3. New tools and tactics:
    4. Minimal resources:
    5. Encryption or IPv6:
    6. Information:
    7. Simplicty:

• Disadvantages:
    1. Limited view:
    2. Risk:

Hi, I also wanted to know the more information about the honeypots. If you know it in details then please give me reply about it. I have searched on internet regarding this. But there is no such explanation of it which can help me to better understand it. So, if anyone knows it in detail then please reply with that to me. I am waiting for your reply. Please, help me to understand this topic better.

Hello, if you want to know what is honeypot, then you need to know exactly what is honeypot? This is not simple to get the definition of the honeypot and the definition is not that much simple to understand also. As you ask that is it any type of firewall, then it is not. Honeypots do not solve a specific problem. They are tools that comes in many shapes and sizes. they can help you to detect encrypted attacks in IPv6 networks. Due to their flexibility that can make them challenging to define and understand. So, the honeypot is an information system tool which has the value in unauthorized or illicit use of that resource.
    I'm the Proud Owner of the most dangerous weapon
    known to man kind: Human Brain