Thread: Add-ons or extension not compatible with Firefox 3.6

Add-ons or extension not compatible with Firefox 3.6

Hi, i am using Windows Vista operating system and Firefox as my default web browser. This is the only browser i like to work with. Now i am having some trouble with my recently updated version, that is Firefox 3.6. Whenever i am installing any Add-on or extension, it gives me an error stating "Extension not compatible with Firefox 3.6b."

Its very annoying because i need to install many such extensions that helps me lot while working online. Is there any way to fix this error ? What else suggestion do you guys have regarding the same ? Please help me..

Re: Add-ons or extension not compatible with Firefox 3.6

Yeah, thats correct. I am using Firefox 3.5.5 and had found many extensions not compatible with this version too. Anyways, i have sorted out some of them but still many left that are not working with my Firefox version. Here is what you can do....

A new version of the add-on may have been released that is compatible with your version of Firefox. To check for updates, do the following:
    • Open the Tools menu and select Add-ons to open Add-ons window.
    • Select the Extensions panel.
    • Click the Find Updates button. Firefox will check for updates on all your extensions
    • If an update is found, click the Install Updates button.
    • Click Restart Firefox to use the updated extensions.

After searching lot, fortunately i found a solution for this error on howtogeek.com. They have given a cool tips to make extension compatible with your Firefox version. According to them:-

Type about:config into the address bar, and then after clicking through the warning, you’ll want to right-click in the list and choose New –> Boolean from the menu.

Now you’ll be prompted to enter the preference name.This is where you need to pay attention to the exact version you are using, because the preference has to be set for the exact version of Firefox you are using. For version Firefox 3.6b3, enter exactly this
    Code:
    extensions.checkCompatibility.3.6b
    Basically the format is extensions.checkCompatibility.VERSION.b for Beta releases or extensions.checkCompatibility.VERSION.a for Alpha releases. So if you were testing out Firefox 3.8 Alpha, you’d use extensions.checkCompatibility.3.8a as the preference name.

On the next dialog, just choose “false” and close the dialog.

You should now see the value in the list if you filter for it.

And your extensions should now install. If they don’t, then you probably put the wrong version into the preference name.

Thats it !!!

Some add-on developers have different versions of their add-on for different Firefox versions so automatic updating does not work. You can search for the updated and compatible extensions. To do so, in the Add-ons window, right-click on the incompatible extension, and select Visit Home Page. You will be taken to the home page for that add-on. Download the latest version of the add-on from the home page for that add-on.

If you have already verified that the website or add-on is compatible with your version of Firefox, the cause of the problem may be in your Firefox "User Agent" string, that identifies your browser type to websites. Common causes of this problem are installing Megaupload Toolbar extension or Creative ZENCast plugin and then updating Firefox.To reset your user agent, follow these steps:-

• In the Location bar, type about:config and press Enter.
    • Search for useragent by typing it into the Filter field.
    • Right-click on each of the three preferences listed below and select Reset from the context menu.
      • general.useragent.extra.firefox
      • general.useragent.locale
      • general.useragent.security
    • If they exist, you may also need to reset:
      • general.useragent.extra.productName - where productName can be the name of some third party software (e.g. microsoftdotnet).
      • general.useragent.override

You are done.