Thread: Need help with Google Apps Sync

Need help with Google Apps Sync

Hi, i am a Windows Xp user and need some urgent help from you all guys regarding Google Apps Sync. Actually i am having a very old Exchange account with lots of data which i need to close. So, one of my friend suggested me to import those data using Google Apps Sync. To be frank i have no idea of doing that. Could you guys please make me know how to install and i import my data from Exchange account using Google Apps Sync ? Thanks for all your help.

Re: Need help with Google Apps Sync

FYI, Google Apps Sync is a plug-in for Outlook 2003 or 2007 that lets you import data from your old Exchange account into Google Apps. You can then keep using your familiar Outlook interface to manage your Google Apps mail, calendar events, and contacts. Or you can switch to using the Google Apps interface in a web browser. In order to install Google Apps Sync on the computer, make sure you are running Outlook 2003 or 2007 and follow these steps:-

• From your Windows Control Panel, open Run Advertised Programs, select Google Apps Sync from the list of programs, and click Run to install Google Apps Sync.
    • From the Windows Start menu, choose Set up a Google Apps Sync user.
    • After installation, you're asked to sign in to your Google Apps account
    • This lets Google Apps Sync connect to your account to get ready for importing and synchronization.

To import data using Google Apps Sync from your Exchange account, you first need to create a profile. This step is also where you can import any existing Exchange data to your Google account, and set a few other options. There are actually two ways to import data, first is either you can import directly from from Exchange or first export it from Outlook as a PST file, and than start to import. Here is how to do that:-

Check Import data from an existing profile option to import data. Then choose where to import from. If your Exchange profile is listed, choose its profile name to import directly from Exchange. If instead you've exported your data from Outlook to a PST file, choose From a PST File and browse to the file on your computer or network.

• Specify what to import (just check each appropriate box). To avoid importing duplicate data, import data all at once and don't re-import it later.
    • Turn AutoArchive off (you can turn it back on later). Outlook's AutoArchive feature removes old email from Google Apps and stores it in a separate file on your computer that isn't synchronized with your Google account in the cloud. To instead keep a copy of all your archived messages with your Google account, turn AutoArchive off and place messages you want to archive in your Google Apps Archived folder (available in Outlook when using Google Apps Sync).
    • Click Create Profile when you're done.
    • You're almost done.You just need to start Outlook and wait for importing and synchronization to begin.

Thanks for your quick replies. I just started my process as you have mentioned in the steps but have a query regarding the second step. As yo have mentioned Specify what to import, i just wanted to know what things can import using this application ? Please help me soon. Help appreciated...

Here is the complete list that you can import using Google Apps Sync:-

• Email messages: Messages from all folders in your Exchange profile or PST file, except the Deleted Items, Junk E-mail, and Public folders.

• Deleted messages: Messages from your Deleted Items folder in Outlook.

• Junk email: Messages from your Junk E-mail folder.

• Contacts: Personal contacts (global contacts must be imported by your administrator).

• Calendars: Events from your default Outlook calendar.

• Notes, journal entries, and tasks: These are imported for use within Outlook on your local computer, only. This data isn't synchronized with your Google Apps account in the cloud and therefore isn't available from the Google Apps interface or from any other computer where you use Outlook with Google Apps Sync.