Thread: Firefox.exe always open a program

Firefox.exe always open a program

Hi,

I'm getting a warning that firefox.exe wants to open a program and my antivirus program asks me whether to cure or remove this item. I have removed before, but seems to be coming back. I have no extensions or themes, and tried to reinstall Firefox, same problem again. Should I delete this item? Are there any settings to change this behavior?

Re: Firefox.exe always open a program

Firefox.exe should be in C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox folder. Your firefox.exe found in the System32 folder. Folder can be a Trojan or malware. If you return after removal is another indicator that this is malware. Do a search for firefox.exe. Use a free tool like Spybot Search and Destroy or Malwarebytes to find other possible malware on your system.

Firefox.exe is the name of process that runs Firefox. It is normal that this process be present if Firefox is running. Given that process when Firefox is not running is indicative of a problem. Open Task Manager and make sure firefox.exe is still running (do a "End Process"). Go to your Firefox installation directory, and look for a folder called "updates" and delete it. Start Firefox. If it is, do "Check for Updates. If updates are found, install. Restart.

Firefox.exe is the name of process that runs Firefox. It is normal that this process be present if Firefox is running. Given that process when Firefox is not running is indicative of a problem. Open Task Manager and make sure firefox.exe is still running (do a "End Process"). Go to your Firefox installation directory, and look for a folder called "updates" and delete it. Start Firefox. If it is, do "Check for Updates. If updates are found, install and then Restart.

As per kb.mozillazine, Follow the bellow steps, to edit the registry for the removal of trojan or malware on your pc :

1. Reboot into Windows Safe Mode (Reset the computer and press the F8 key repeatedly until Safe Mode prompt comes up prior to Windows startup)

2. Run Registry Editor (Start Button -> Run, then type "regedit" and click OK) and find the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components and look for, back up, and remove any sub-key(s) that *only* have a StubPath entry. It's advisable to back up any registry keys before you remove them (just in case). Right-click on the appropriate Key(s) in the left-side pane and choose Export from the context-menu. Give the file a name and save it to your Desktop as a .reg file. ex: SuspiciousKey1.reg. If you later wish to undo the deletion of the Key, double-click the .reg file and say "Yes" to merge the Key back into your registry.

3. Delete the suspicious files you found during the 'confirming the presence of malware' step (above).

4. Reboot into Windows (normal mode).

5. Double-check everything to make sure it hasn't returned!

6. Please Note: As of April 6, 2007; Ivy will re-create the regestry key. Instead of deleting the random key, change the value of "stubpath" to something that is not a file path, such as: Disabled This will ensure the process does not start again, and should clear your task manager up.