Thread: Which question a web designer should ask to their clients?

Which question a web designer should ask to their clients?

I am a new designer to this web designing field. I have taken some of the project but I am not getting the correct cost for the project. The simple reason is that, sometimes I forget to ask some of the specification related to the project, or some time the outcome website is not per the expectation customer. Really I am getting fed up of this. Is there any list of question I should ask my client before starting the project or some specific question I should ask my clients? Any related reply will be accepted.

Re: Purpose and targeted audience for the website.

First of all you must ask your client the purpose of designing the website. Whether they want to build the simple social networking site, or they want blog where they want to share their views with their viewers, or they are looking for online store where they can sell their products. The next important question you must ask the client that who is your targeted audience, means who are going to visit your website. I think these questions may help you to understand your clients well.

Re: Features related to website

If you are building website for your client then the most important thing you must ask is that what the features you want in your website. This question is important according to me because most of clients have no idea about it and they demand for unrealistic thing. So before starting your project you must make your client that what are the features you are going to add in the website. Normally many times client wants their websites to be better than their clients. So it is important to ask links for their competitor’s website. This will give you an idea about the complexity of the project.
    I'm the Proud Owner of the most dangerous weapon
    known to man kind: Human Brain

Re: Ask for the links of competitors website

Every client has its own mentality about judging the websites. So you must not forget to ask your client what are their favorite websites and why. Means that if your client like the functionality of some web site then what are the thing they like about the website and what are thing they do not like about some websites. This question will solve you 50% problem about designing the website. After asking this question you will get the clear idea about the color scheme and fonts you have to use in your website. Note my point making good website is one thing and making the website which your client is going to like is different.

Re: Which question a web designer should ask to their clients?

If your client does not understand the process of web designing, then it is your duty to make them understand that website designing is not based on any one formula it is purely a creative process. So the web designer must have a complete freedom of using his or her imagination for creating website. Do not forget to ask the budget and deadline for the website. It is the most important question to ask, because you are going to work for what you are getting paid in return.

Re: Which question a web designer should ask to their clients?

I think all the important questions are covered in the above replies. Just for the safe side ask the contact details of your client; normally we communicate the client through e-mail and IM. It will be better to have complete client contact details and verify them. One more thing, ask the client that you can leave your signature or contact details on client’s website. This is not the important question to ask but I prefer to ask this question.