Thread: Error message : The program must close to allow a previous installation attempt to complete

Error message : The program must close to allow a previous installation attempt to complete

Hi,

I have windows vista on my pc. my problem is that, before Firefox worked perfectly. After installing a certificate from VeriSign, the installation is finished, firefox is not responding. Restart not possible. Safe-mode was not possible. Even a cold restart the computer does not help. Everytime I get this error message : The program must close to allow a previous installation attempt to complete. Please restart.

Re: Error message : The program must close to allow a previous installation attempt to complete

Did you check and make sure it isn't running in the background? Register Keys still active? All these things can do that, try installing in safe mode.
    Also try opening a command prompt, type CMD in the search bar in the start menu. Then type "Tasklist" to see if there are any tasks that are similar to Firefox, or Mozilla related, type "Taskkill (two K) Taskkill / ID (Whatever) press enter and see. Id try safe mode first, you can also try cleaning your
    Registry manually. This regedit at the top of the the appearance of the window to edit the type of finding as Mozilla and Firefox, when find a delete key, make sure the right button, I like the right button the key to be sure. Delete it, not keep hitting EDIT FIND NEXT until no more, do it twice, with a reboot in the middle. Make sure that a backup too.

Re: Error message : The program must close to allow a previous installation attempt to complete

Go to the program installation folder 'C: \ Program Files \ Mozilla Firefox "and delete the file' xpicleanup.exe. Make sure that Firefox is not running when you do this. You should be able to start Firefox after that.

I found an example in the Run, records of some "xpicleanup" file not seem to want to empty after restart. Once deregistered Firefox is started, however, I now have the "Allow this program to run" window Evertime start Firefox.

I tried to run as administrator, etc. still no luck. I also have problems with system go to sleep or hibernate, I have the right to disconnect and reboot changed all setting in power management to "never" and so still can not access system without rebooting the system?

If you are receiving this message when attempting to start Firefox and a restart has no effect, delete the “xpicleanup.dat” file, located in the C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox folder. If you have problems finding or deleting this file, follow these steps:

1.Restart your system, or if you know how, terminate all Firefox and xpicleanup processes with Task Manager.
    2.Go to "Start -> Start Search" and type in %APPDATA%.
    3.From there, navigate to Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox
    4.Delete the file "xpicleanup.dat".
    You should now be able to start Firefox.

If the problem persists, restart the system or use Task Manager again, then delete the "xpicleanup.exe" file in the Firefox installation directory (usually C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox).