Thread: Service Unavailable error message while browsing IIS 6.0 Web page on Windows Server 2003

Service Unavailable error message while browsing IIS 6.0 Web page on Windows Server 2003

I'm running Windows Xp as my operating system. I'm also using Internet Explorer 7 as my web browser. Now the problem is that when i try to when you browse an IIS 6.0 Web page on a Windows Server 2003-based domain controller is give s out an error message stating that "Service Unavailable" on my desktop screen. Can any body tell me that why i'm getting "Service Unavailable" while browsing IIS 6.0 Web page on a Windows Server 2003? Does any body knows about it? Let me know the correct solution to resolve the above issue. Thanks.

Re: Service Unavailable error message while browsing IIS 6.0 Web page on Windows Server 2003

This issue may occur if the server that is running Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) 6.0 is also a domain controller. You need to verify that the application pool is configured for the virtual server. The problem occurs because the Application pool is using the NT Authority\Network Service account, and the NT Authority\Network Service account may not have permissions to access the required folders. The default application pool is MSSharePointPortalAppPool.

Re: Service Unavailable error message while browsing IIS 6.0 Web page on Windows Server 2003

In order to resolve your above issue, you need to follow the below steps mention.
    • Open the IIS Manager, then you need to right click on Web Sites and theen need to select properties.
    • Then you need to Switch to the Service Tab.
    • After that you nee to check "Run WWW Service in IIS 5.0 Isolation Mode".
    • Then you will be asked for Restart of IIS. You need to click yes to restart IIS. If it doesn't ask you to restart . you just need to restart your IIS.

To resolve this problem, manually set permissions on the folders for the IIS_WPG group, and then set permissions on the folders for the NT Authority\Network Service account. For security purposes, the description that is sent back to the client (Service Unavailable) does not fully describe the error. HTTP.sys keeps its own error log. Just check out the following link. Hope so it may resolve your above issue.

Microsoft support gave me this solution and it worked...

Reinstall Windows 2003 SP2.

The issue was due to incorrect versions of IIS 6 files and DLLS.
    Hope this helps.