Thread: Unable to establish NetMeeting connections

Unable to establish NetMeeting connections

Hi, i am using Windows Vista operating system and having a Internet connection of America Online that is AOL. Now i need some help from you all guys regarding a task that i am doing for the first time and hence i have not much idea about it.

I am trying to establish a NetMeeting connection but some of the ports are getting blocked by the Firewall, i think. But i dont want to disable the firewall. Is there any way i can establish the NetMeeting connection without disabling the Firewall ? Please help me soon...

Re: Unable to establish NetMeeting connections

Basically NetMeeting uses several IP ports to communicate with other meeting participants while you try to establish a connection over the Internet. So its obvious, the firewall will block some of the ports if it is not configured properly. You don't need to disable the Firewall but you can configure suitable to this situation.

To establish outbound NetMeeting connections through a firewall, the firewall must be configured to do the following:
    Pass through primary TCP connections on ports 522, 389, 1503, 1720 and 1731.

OR

Pass through secondary UDP connections on dynamically assigned ports (1024-65535).

Some firewalls are capable of passing through TCP connections on specific ports, but are not capable of passing through secondary UDP connections on dynamically assigned ports. When you establish NetMeeting connections through these firewalls, you are unable to use the audio features of NetMeeting.

In addition, some firewalls are capable of passing through TCP connections on specific ports and secondary UDP connections on dynamically assigned ports, but are not capable of virtualizing an arbitrary number of internal IP addresses, or are not capable of doing so dynamically.

With these firewalls, you are able to establish NetMeeting connections from computers inside the firewall to computers outside the firewall and you are able to use the audio features of NetMeeting, but you are unable to establish connections from computers outside the firewall to computers inside the firewall.

To use NetMeeting with AOL as your ISP, use AOL version 3.0 or later. This software installs an AOL adapter in Network properties and lets you make a 32-bit Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) connection to AOL. NetMeeting does not require additional configuration.
    To determine if you are using AOL version 3.0 or later, use either of the following methods:

• Double-click the Add/Remove Programs tool in Control Panel. AOL version 3.0 for Windows 95/98 should be listed on the Install/Uninstall tab. (To access Control Panel, Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.)

• On the AOL Help menu, click About AOL. Verify that AOL for Windows 95/98 is listed. If AOL for Windows 95/98 is not listed, contact AOL for an updated version of the AOL software.